Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Debian Installer Design Oversight?

I downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso and used it to install Debian
on a usb stick. All went perfectly until the final question which was
to the effect

Other operating systems and hard drives have been found on this system.
Do you want the mbr written to the first hard drive?

My answer was no, of course. I wanted the mbr written to the usb stick
and I certainly didn't want to alter the system I was using. So the
installation ended without writing the mbr anywhere.

Since the computer was running from the installation disk I could have
modified the bios boot sequence for hard drives to move the usb stick to
the top of the list but would the installation program look at this
information? How would it chose between the first ide hard drive, the
first sata hard drive and the usb stick?

Without starting over what is the best way to make the stick bootable?

Tom

Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:19:21 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> I downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso and used it to install Debian
> on a usb stick. All went perfectly until the final question which was
> to the effect
>
> Other operating systems and hard drives have been found on this system.
> Do you want the mbr written to the first hard drive?

That question can be "misleading".

What is the "first" disk from the installer's outlook (internal ide,
internal sata, internal scsi, external usb1, external esata1...)?

> My answer was no, of course. I wanted the mbr written to the usb stick
> and I certainly didn't want to alter the system I was using. So the
> installation ended without writing the mbr anywhere.
>
> Since the computer was running from the installation disk I could have
> modified the bios boot sequence for hard drives to move the usb stick to
> the top of the list but would the installation program look at this
> information? How would it chose between the first ide hard drive, the
> first sata hard drive and the usb stick?
>
> Without starting over what is the best way to make the stick bootable?

This is what I did with my external USB disk: I removed the internal sata
disk (this was on a laptop) and installed GRUB -via commands- into the
MBR of "whatever disk" the system thought it was the first disk... as
there was only one, failure was not an option.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Steven Ayre

> Without starting over what is the best way to make the stick bootable?

Boot from the installer in recovery mode and manually install grub to
the MBR of the USB stick.

-Steve

Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 03 mar 11, 10:19:21, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso and used it to install Debian
> on a usb stick. All went perfectly until the final question which was
> to the effect
>
> Other operating systems and hard drives have been found on this system.
> Do you want the mbr written to the first hard drive?
>
> My answer was no, of course. I wanted the mbr written to the usb stick
> and I certainly didn't want to alter the system I was using. So the
> installation ended without writing the mbr anywhere.

I don't remember the exact sequence, but it is definitely possible to
install grub in the MBR of a different drive.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Brian

On Thu 03 Mar 2011 at 10:19:21 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> I downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso and used it to install Debian
> on a usb stick. All went perfectly until the final question which was
> to the effect
>
> Other operating systems and hard drives have been found on this system.
> Do you want the mbr written to the first hard drive?
>
> My answer was no, of course. I wanted the mbr written to the usb stick
> and I certainly didn't want to alter the system I was using. So the
> installation ended without writing the mbr anywhere.

My distinct recollection is that the installer gives you the opportunity
to install GRUB to a chosen destination if you select 'no'.

> Without starting over what is the best way to make the stick bootable?

Have you tried running the installer (in expert mode, say) and going to
the boot loader choices.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Brian wrote:

I downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso and used it to install Debian
on a usb stick. All went perfectly until the final question which was
to the effect

Other operating systems and hard drives have been found on this system.
Do you want the mbr written to the first hard drive?

My answer was no, of course. I wanted the mbr written to the usb stick
and I certainly didn't want to alter the system I was using. So the
installation ended without writing the mbr anywhere.

My distinct recollection is that the installer gives you the opportunity
to install GRUB to a chosen destination if you select 'no'.

<snip>

It's a fact. I have done several d-i's of 6.0 and if you say 'no' to the
first question of where to install GRUB, the next screen is 'where do
you want to install it?' This is with 'install vga=791'.

Hugo

Archive: ikos6e$m4m$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ikos6e$m4m$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 05:18:48PM +0000, Steven Ayre wrote:
> > Without starting over what is the best way to make the stick bootable?
>
> Boot from the installer in recovery mode and manually install grub to
> the MBR of the USB stick.
>
> -Steve

Thanks, the recovery mode does list the available drives and the option
to select the drive in which to install the MBR.

Others responding to this thread claim the installer does this as well.
That was definitely not the case with the installer I used,
debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso, downloaded February 28th. When I answered
no there were no further questions and the installation was completed.
Perhaps that is true only of this release.

Tom

Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Brad Alexander

Another thing I heard about the installer, and I'm not sure which one, because it didn't happen to me when I used the squeeze installer (netinst). I was listening to DistroWatch Weekly, and one of the reporters tried to build a squeeze box, and he mentioned in his review that the entry for the CD was left in sources.list. I think he was using the dvd to build it, as memory serves. I always use the netinst image, and I don't recall seeing this problem since etch.

But someone may want to check into it.