Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Lisi Reisz

Default mounting and/or permissions problem

When I try to mount some things (not all - e.g. I can mount one DVDRW
drive, but not the second in the same machine and with the same user
and I cannot mount the SD card from the camera; Let alone the
camera!) I get the following error message:

Rejected send message, 3 matched rules; type=”method_call”,
sender =”:1.7” (uid=1000 pid=2877 comm=”kded [kdeinit] –new-startup “)
interface=”org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume” member=”Mount” error
name=”(unset)” requested_reply=0 destination=”org.freedesktop.Hal”
(uid=0 pid=2671 comm=”/usr/sbin/hald “))

I have googled the error message, but got no hits:

Your search - Rejected ...... ”/usr/sbin/hald “)) - did not match any
documents.

Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords.

If, however, I manually mount e.g. the SD card from the camera, the
images are then available as an ordinary user.

????
I am stumped. :-(

I would have tried adding the users to the relevant group if I knew
which the relevant group was! Herewith my /etc/group file:
root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
bin:x:2:
sys:x:3:
adm:x:4:
tty:x:5:
disk:x:6:
lp:x:7:
mail:x:8:
uucp:x:10:
man:x:12:
proxy:x:13:
kmem:x:15:
dialout:x:20:
fax:x:21:
voice:x:22:
cdrom:x:24:john
floppy:x:25:john
tape:x:26:
sudo:x:27:
audio:x:29:
dip:x:30:
www-data:x:33:
backup:x:34:
operator:x:37:
list:x:38:
irc:x:39:
src:x:40:
gnats:x:41:
shadow:x:42:
utmp:x:43:
video:x:44:
sasl:x:45:
plugdev:x:46:
staff:x:50:
games:x:60:
users:x:100:
nogroup:x:65534:
libuuid:x:101:
crontab:x:102:
scanner:x:103:saned,john
ssl-cert:x:104:
mlocate:x:105:
ssh:x:106:
messagebus:x:107:
avahi:x:108:
netdev:x:109:
lpadmin:x:110:
dirmngr:x:111:
haldaemon:x:112:
powerdev:x:113:
ntp:x:114:
saned:x:115:
clamav:x:116:
sarah:x:1001:
john:x:1000:

All suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Lisi

Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:35:49 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

(...)

> I have googled the error message, but got no hits:
>
> Your search - Rejected ...... ”/usr/sbin/hald “)) - did not match any
> documents.

You googled for the wrong text excerpt ;-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=interface%3D%E2%80%9Dorg.freedesktop.Hal. Device.Volume%E2%80%9D+member%3D%E2%80%9DMount%E2% 80%9D+error&hl=en&tbo=1&complete=0&site=&output=se arch&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=FLFvTaTFB8iy8QOj u5WvCA&ved=0CAgQpwUoBQ

> If, however, I manually mount e.g. the SD card from the camera, the
> images are then available as an ordinary user.

That means the problem may be on the DE (KDE).

> ????
> I am stumped. :-(

Hum... are you still using KDE 3.5?

> I would have tried adding the users to the relevant group if I knew
> which the relevant group was!

(...)

Not sure if this will help, but on lenny (and GNOME) my user is member
of:

sm01@stt008:~$ groups
sm01 dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev netdev powerdev

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 03 March 2011 15:28:44 Camalen wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:35:49 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > I would have tried adding the users to the relevant group if I knew
> > which the relevant group was!
>
> (...)
>
> Not sure if this will help, but on lenny (and GNOME) my user is member
> of:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ groups
> sm01 dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev netdev powerdev

Thanks, Camalen. I didn't pick up your message until I got home. I.e., I
must have shut down Iceweasel seconds before you sent your reply.

I had been wondering about video. I myself have several of the ones oyu
mention, and that I had not added, on my own box.

I shall be visiting the computer concerned again in a couple of weeks' time.
I'll add user to some more groups then.

Lisi

Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
AG