-   -   anaconda and lorax (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/496540-anaconda-lorax.html)

Martin Gracik 03-03-2011 06:46 AM

anaconda and lorax

Hi,

I would like to make lorax more generic and independent on the anaconda
package, so I was thinking if it would be a good idea to move the stuff
we have in /usr/share/anaconda/boot, things like yaboot.conf.in for
example (and also maybe some other stuff) to lorax?

--
Martin Gracik <mgracik@redhat.com>

Ales Kozumplik 03-03-2011 07:31 AM

anaconda and lorax

I would like to make lorax more generic and independent on the anaconda
package, so I was thinking if it would be a good idea to move the stuff
we have in /usr/share/anaconda/boot, things like yaboot.conf.in for
example (and also maybe some other stuff) to lorax?

Hi,

I think that even a nicer arrangement would be having an extra package
to do the builds. So the responsibilities are:

anaconda -- just the installer
lorax -- the generic tool for building bootable images
the new package (e.g. anaconda-compose) -- set of templates as an input
for lorax that produce the final image.

Ales

Martin Sivak 03-03-2011 07:52 AM

anaconda and lorax

I agree, Ales' proposal is the exact arrangement I am waiting for :)

--
Martin Sivák
msivak@redhat.com

"Brian C. Lane" 03-03-2011 04:06 PM

anaconda and lorax

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:31:26AM +0100, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 08:46 AM, Martin Gracik wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I would like to make lorax more generic and independent on the anaconda
> >package, so I was thinking if it would be a good idea to move the stuff
> >we have in /usr/share/anaconda/boot, things like yaboot.conf.in for
> >example (and also maybe some other stuff) to lorax?
> >

> Hi,
>
> I think that even a nicer arrangement would be having an extra
> package to do the builds. So the responsibilities are:
>
> anaconda -- just the installer
> lorax -- the generic tool for building bootable images
> the new package (e.g. anaconda-compose) -- set of templates as an
> input for lorax that produce the final image.

Good idea, that matches the way we do things with spins, with the actual
definition as a separate package. We just make the tools, it's up to the
users how they want to use them :)

I'd be inclined to call it fedora-compose.

Chris Lumens 03-04-2011 01:51 PM

anaconda and lorax

> I think that even a nicer arrangement would be having an extra
> package to do the builds. So the responsibilities are:
>
> anaconda -- just the installer
> lorax -- the generic tool for building bootable images
> the new package (e.g. anaconda-compose) -- set of templates as an
> input for lorax that produce the final image.

This reminds me an awful lot of the anaconda-images or anaconda-runtime
packages we used to have. I guess everything old is new again.

- Chris

David Cantrell 03-04-2011 08:42 PM

anaconda and lorax

Chris Lumens <clumens@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I think that even a nicer arrangement would be having an extra
> > package to do the builds. So the responsibilities are:
> >
> > anaconda -- just the installer
> > lorax -- the generic tool for building bootable images
> > the new package (e.g. anaconda-compose) -- set of templates as an
> > input for lorax that produce the final image.
>
> This reminds me an awful lot of the anaconda-images or anaconda-runtime
> packages we used to have. I guess everything old is new again.

It does, but I think it makes sense to have the templates in their own
package so we don't have to rebuild lorax when the image needs to change.

But making anaconda-compose or a similar package doesn't seem right. Any
reason these cannot become part of fedora-release? Or another package
that already exists and contains distribution-specific configuration
files?

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
Supervisor, Installer Engineering Team

Martin Sivak 03-04-2011 08:59 PM

anaconda and lorax

You could probably put those into some existing fedora config package, but that would mean we need the commit rights to it too. That might be more political than technical issue though.

--
Martin Sivák
msivak@redhat.com