Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   FAT filesystem with a directory cycle (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/496512-fat-filesystem-directory-cycle.html)

Joel Roth 03-03-2011 04:20 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
Hi,

I'm repairing a system for a friend with a FAT filesystem
problem.

There is a directory cycle, so that for example:

rm -rf directory_with_cycle

doesn't work, because rm encounters and endless succession
of subdirectories.

The directory content is not important, however I'd be
interested in knowing some FAT references that could help
me to eliminate the loop and remove the directory.

Regards,

--
Joel Roth


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110303052002.GA13839@sprite">http://lists.debian.org/20110303052002.GA13839@sprite

Ron Johnson 03-03-2011 06:46 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On 03/02/2011 11:20 PM, Joel Roth wrote:

Hi,

I'm repairing a system for a friend with a FAT filesystem
problem.

There is a directory cycle, so that for example:

rm -rf directory_with_cycle

doesn't work, because rm encounters and endless succession
of subdirectories.

The directory content is not important, however I'd be
interested in knowing some FAT references that could help
me to eliminate the loop and remove the directory.



A symlink loop? But FAT doesn't support symlinks.

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D6F4765.8080306@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D6F4765.8080306@cox.net

Alex Mestiashvili 03-03-2011 07:51 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On 03/03/2011 06:20 AM, Joel Roth wrote:

Hi,

I'm repairing a system for a friend with a FAT filesystem
problem.

There is a directory cycle, so that for example:

rm -rf directory_with_cycle

doesn't work, because rm encounters and endless succession
of subdirectories.

The directory content is not important, however I'd be
interested in knowing some FAT references that could help
me to eliminate the loop and remove the directory.

Regards,



I would run the fsck.vfat ( dosfstools package) on the unmounted partition.

Regards ,
Alex


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D6F5682.70106@biotec.tu-dresden.de">http://lists.debian.org/4D6F5682.70106@biotec.tu-dresden.de

Joel Roth 03-03-2011 10:13 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:51:14AM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 06:20 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm repairing a system for a friend with a FAT filesystem
> >problem.
> >
> >There is a directory cycle, so that for example:
> >
> > rm -rf directory_with_cycle
> >
> >doesn't work, because rm encounters and endless succession
> >of subdirectories.
> >
> >The directory content is not important, however I'd be
> >interested in knowing some FAT references that could help
> >me to eliminate the loop and remove the directory.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> I would run the fsck.vfat ( dosfstools package) on the unmounted partition.

I tried that; fsck.vfat gets stuck in a loop as it descends
into a subdirectory that contains its own ancestor.

Thanks anyway!

> Regards ,
> Alex
--
Joel Roth


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110303111302.GA27026@sprite">http://lists.debian.org/20110303111302.GA27026@sprite

shawn wilson 03-03-2011 10:31 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On Mar 3, 2011 6:14 AM, "Joel Roth" <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:

>

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:51:14AM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

> > On 03/03/2011 06:20 AM, Joel Roth wrote:

> > >Hi,

> > >

> > >I'm repairing a system for a friend with a FAT filesystem

> > >problem.

> > >

> > >There is a directory cycle, so that for example:

> > >

> > > * *rm -rf directory_with_cycle

> > >

> > >doesn't work, because rm encounters and endless succession

> > >of subdirectories.

> > >

> > >The directory content is not important, however I'd be

> > >interested in knowing some FAT references that could help

> > >me to eliminate the loop and remove the directory.

> > >

> > >Regards,

> > >

> > I would run the fsck.vfat ( dosfstools package) on the unmounted partition.

>

> I tried that; fsck.vfat gets stuck in a loop as it descends

> into a subdirectory that contains its own ancestor.

>


I thought fsck was a bit based integrity checker and didn't care about directories?... and how do you know what directory fsck is on anyway?


Either way, rsync the disk (I think there's a follow symlink option). Copy the first 454 bites of the disk. Reformat the disk, copy the data back, dd the mbr back.

Joel Roth 03-03-2011 10:55 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 06:31:49AM -0500, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2011 6:14 AM, "Joel Roth" <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:51:14AM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> > > On 03/03/2011 06:20 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
> > > >Hi,
> > > >
> > > >I'm repairing a system for a friend with a FAT filesystem
> > > >problem.
> > > >
> > > >There is a directory cycle, so that for example:
> > > >
> > > > rm -rf directory_with_cycle
> > > >
> > > >doesn't work, because rm encounters and endless succession
> > > >of subdirectories.
> > > >
> > > >The directory content is not important, however I'd be
> > > >interested in knowing some FAT references that could help
> > > >me to eliminate the loop and remove the directory.
> > > >
> > > >Regards,
> > > >
> > > I would run the fsck.vfat ( dosfstools package) on the unmounted
> partition.
> >
> > I tried that; fsck.vfat gets stuck in a loop as it descends
> > into a subdirectory that contains its own ancestor.
> >
>
> I thought fsck was a bit based integrity checker and didn't care about
> directories?... and how do you know what directory fsck is on anyway?

The same warning repeated endlessly

> Either way, rsync the disk (I think there's a follow symlink option). Copy
> the first 454 bites of the disk. Reformat the disk, copy the data back, dd
> the mbr back.

Rsync *does* allow one to exclude directories from the copy.
So that would work.

However Windows system partitions always have special
wrinkles... A fresh install might help.

I think I'm about done with this job. I've got Windows
booting, and I've got Puppy linux running as an alternative.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

--
Joel Roth


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110303115519.GA27952@sprite">http://lists.debian.org/20110303115519.GA27952@sprite

Ron Johnson 03-03-2011 07:23 PM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On 03/03/2011 05:55 AM, Joel Roth wrote:

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 06:31:49AM -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

[snip]


I thought fsck was a bit based integrity checker and didn't care about
directories?... and how do you know what directory fsck is on anyway?


The same warning repeated endlessly



Show us. Include *everything*. (Snip after 5 lines of repetition.)

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D6FF8CC.4060003@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D6FF8CC.4060003@cox.net

Joel Roth 03-06-2011 04:27 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 02:23:40PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 05:55 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 06:31:49AM -0500, shawn wilson wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >>I thought fsck was a bit based integrity checker and didn't care about
> >>directories?... and how do you know what directory fsck is on anyway?
> >
> >The same warning repeated endlessly
> >
>
> Show us. Include *everything*. (Snip after 5 lines of repetition.)

Okay, I get that a responsibility of posting for help here
is also to include enough info for all to study.

Thanks for your kind offer, however I no longer have the computer
to play with. I'll experiment with virtualization next,
if I can get that to work.

--
Joel Roth


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110306052712.GA28325@sprite">http://lists.debian.org/20110306052712.GA28325@sprite

Ron Johnson 03-06-2011 04:38 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On 03/05/2011 11:27 PM, Joel Roth wrote:

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 02:23:40PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]


Show us. Include *everything*. (Snip after 5 lines of repetition.)


Okay, I get that a responsibility of posting for help here
is also to include enough info for all to study.



You call the Doctor saying nothing but "I have a cough. Cure me
now!" and expect him to do what?



Thanks for your kind offer, however I no longer have the computer
to play with. I'll experiment with virtualization next,
if I can get that to work.



--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D731DDC.1010909@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D731DDC.1010909@cox.net

Joel Roth 03-06-2011 08:10 AM

FAT filesystem with a directory cycle
 
On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 11:38:36PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 11:27 PM, Joel Roth wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 02:23:40PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >>Show us. Include *everything*. (Snip after 5 lines of repetition.)
> >
> >Okay, I get that a responsibility of posting for help here
> >is also to include enough info for all to study.
> >
>
> You call the Doctor saying nothing but "I have a cough. Cure me
> now!" and expect him to do what?

Hi Doctor Johnson,

At least half of the time, the *attempt* to explain
to the doctor cures the problem.

Several times I've spent more than an hour writing
to the list, and then resolving the problem
through the exercise of writing.

(I don't usually trouble the list unless I'm feeling
especially boastful.)

In this case, I ran out of time and returned the
hardware.

I don't appear to get the same errors on the dd'd and
mounted partition copy that I recall on the original
hardware.

There could have been some error on my part.
Some errors remain mysterious.

Thank you for explaining list etiquette.

Let it be known that I contribute to this list as well as
asking for help. I attempt to remain courteous, including
providing sufficient information.

Good day to you, Dr. btw, we are all doctors and all
patients here!

Have a tofu flavored banana bar and chill :-)

> >Thanks for your kind offer, however I no longer have the computer
> >to play with. I'll experiment with virtualization next,
> >if I can get that to work.
> >
>
> --
> I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

--
Joel Roth


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110306091018.GB8958@sprite">http://lists.debian.org/20110306091018.GB8958@sprite


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.