Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Jason Hsu

Default PasswordAuthentication option in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

The value can be yes or no. But in the default version of the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, the command setting the value of the PasswordAuthentication parameter is #'d out.

What does this mean? Should I leave it as is, or should I uncomment the line? If the latter is the case, should I set the value to yes or no?

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Steven Ayre

Commented out it will mean it'll use the default, which is yes (see
'man sshd_config')

You only need to uncomment it if you want to change it to no. Although
it can also make your config more explicit by just looking at the
file.

-Steve

Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
green

Jason Hsu wrote at 2011-03-02 21:59 -0600:
> PasswordAuthentication parameter

See the man page sshd_config(5).

With password authentication disabled, you will not be able to login using your
normal system password. In that case, you would probably want to set up public
key authentication, which is more secure.