Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

Default VMware Workstation

on 18:43 Wed 02 Mar, Mathieu Malaterre (mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com) wrote:
> I tried vmware once. When I realized the script needed root power, I stopped.
>
> I moved to VirtualBox without regret so far. The version in debian
> does not have USB & rdesktop, but that was not on my requirement.
>
> VirtualBox support most images, but you can always use qemu to convert
> your vmware to virtualbox images.
>
> Watch out that for 6'bits sytem you need VT-x on Intel, one way to
> know is executing this from a shell:
>
> $ egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
>
> HTH

Does anyone have actual or apparent performance comparisons between vbox
and VMWare?

Why would one chose one over the other?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Ed Morbius ask;

Does anyone have actual or apparent performance comparisons between vbox
and VMWare?

Why would one chose one over the other?
-----

I would say VMWare's market share is in the Corporate environment,

Either for the few features it has over VirtualBox

or for the same reasons Red Hat or SUSE has dominating market share in Servers, Corporate Licensing and Support Packaging.

TeddyB

Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 01:59:50 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:

> Why would one chose one over the other?

OT but, Vbox is gpl and in Debians repositoriies.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 14:54 Wed 02 Mar, Greg Madden (gomadtroll@gci.net) wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 March 2011 01:59:50 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>
> > Why would one chose one over the other?
>
> OT but, Vbox is gpl and in Debians repositoriies.

Well, yeah, besides the obvious I meant.

I've schlepped over the *.vmwarevm trees from my OSX box (primary use:
serving as a VMWare Fusion platform) and will muck with getting them
going on VBox.

There's ye olde "Oh, but I selected SCSI for hard drive format" issue, I
suspect that's not a big issue, though I also suspect that WinXP will
make it one. Grumble. And largely OT.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Shaffin Bhanji

I have successfully installed VMWare Workstation 7.X on Debian 6
without any issues. You need to install as root and then make sure
that the user has r/w access tot he directory where you place you VM
image files.

Shaffin.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Brad Alexander