Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
shawn wilson

Default VMware Workstation

A few general comments on the thread:

First, I'd recommend VMWare if you want to also buy their support - its really quite good. Otherwise use vbox for desktop and proxmox for servers.

Second, vbox isn't 100% open source - IIRC, their usb bridge is closed.

Third, I dont really recommend using automated utilities to migrate machines (one exception). These tools don't do much more than do a full copy and sometimes mess with drivers. You can do this by hand with less errors. Now, the one exception is for a big data center. If you're constantly deploying and migrating machines, look at plate spin.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Jonathan Matthews

On 3 March 2011 11:57, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few general comments on the thread:
> First, I'd recommend VMWare if you want to also buy their support - its
> really quite good.

Good comment. *If* you have the dosh to flaunt on VMWare support
and/or PS, and are set on buying something corporate, then do so.
Personally, I'd choose KVM on the server these days. VMWare being
EMC, you'll find there is *never* an end to the amount you could pay
them. The services and licenses they offer are as deep as your pockets
:-)

Personally, what puts me off VMWare is - as others have mentioned -
the license wrangling, but also the actual cost of support. In a
former role, I had to go into a client and discover&point out that,
because they made a hardware choice of X as opposed to Y before
engaging with $myEmployer, the (minimum) cost of ESXi licensing
actually *exceeded* the (5 figure) cost of their shiny new,
fully-loaded Dell hardware. Yes, they didn't do their requirements
gathering correctly but daaaaaaaaaaamn is VMWare expensive!

Getting back on topic, to non-server/workstation, I'd recommend
virtualbox like others on this thread. If you can get VMWare for free
(site license/etc), or if you have very deep pockets, take a look.
Otherwise - vbox. For server-side virtualisation - KVM.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews
London, UK