Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
George

Default Revert to lenny's grub

After upgrading to squeeze the new grub was chainloading through the
old one. It was working fine, so I elected to run
upgrade-from-grub-legacy. After this grub was failing with "Error 15",
not even giving me the option to press a key to restart. I can boot
now using Super Grub Disk. I want to revert back to lenny's grub, and
not use the new grub from now on. How can I do this?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:39:36 +0200, George wrote:

> After upgrading to squeeze the new grub was chainloading through the old
> one. It was working fine, so I elected to run upgrade-from-grub-legacy.
> After this grub was failing with "Error 15", not even giving me the
> option to press a key to restart. I can boot now using Super Grub Disk.
> I want to revert back to lenny's grub, and not use the new grub from now
> on. How can I do this?

Can you still press "e" to enter into edit menu?

"Error 15" seems to indicate that GRUB2 cannot find some files to boot,
but maybe this just require you to edit the corresponding kernel's
"root=" stanza.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Jimmy Johnson

George wrote:

After upgrading to squeeze the new grub was chainloading through the
old one. It was working fine, so I elected to run
upgrade-from-grub-legacy. After this grub was failing with "Error 15",
not even giving me the option to press a key to restart. I can boot
now using Super Grub Disk. I want to revert back to lenny's grub, and
not use the new grub from now on. How can I do this?

The way to do that is to first remove grub-pc and it will cleanup grub
for you, remember not to reboot yet ;-), then make sure you have a
/etc/boot/grub folder, now install grub-legacy, next run 'grub-update
/dev/sdax' (x being the partition number) and it will create a new menu.lst.

But the error 15 is probably a wrong UUID, you can check that by running
as root 'blkid' and check the UUID you get against fstab and the menu.lst.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Kubuntu 10.10 - KDE 4.6.0 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4D6EA158.1010809@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6EA158.1010809@gmail.com

Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> The way to do that is to first remove grub-pc and it will cleanup grub for
> you, remember not to reboot yet ;-), then make sure you have a
> /etc/boot/grub folder, now install grub-legacy, next run 'grub-update
> /dev/sdax' (x being the partition number) and it will create a new menu.lst.
>
> But the error 15 is probably a wrong UUID, you can check that by running as
> root 'blkid' and check the UUID you get against fstab and the menu.lst.

update-grub not grub-update.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM, George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> After upgrading to squeeze the new grub was chainloading through the
> old one. It was working fine, so I elected to run
> upgrade-from-grub-legacy. After this grub was failing with "Error 15",
> not even giving me the option to press a key to restart. I can boot
> now using Super Grub Disk. I want to revert back to lenny's grub, and
> not use the new grub from now on. How can I do this?

Re-installing grub2 should fix this problem, which can happen when you
don't select a drive when running upgrade-from-legacy (will look for
reference).

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
George

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The way to do that is to first remove grub-pc and it will cleanup grub for
>> you, remember not to reboot yet ;-), then make sure you have a
>> /etc/boot/grub folder, now install grub-legacy, next run 'grub-update
>> /dev/sdax' (x being the partition number) and it will create a new menu.lst.
>>
>> But the error 15 is probably a wrong UUID, you can check that by running as
>> root 'blkid' and check the UUID you get against fstab and the menu.lst.
>
> update-grub not grub-update.

Indeed... I tried grub-update and it didn't work, so I just assumed my
old menu.lst will still work and turned off the computer. Now I'm at
work and won't be able to test it until I get home...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Tom H wrote:

The way to do that is to first remove grub-pc and it will cleanup grub for
you, remember not to reboot yet ;-), then make sure you have a
/etc/boot/grub folder, now install grub-legacy, next run 'grub-update
/dev/sdax' (x being the partition number) and it will create a new menu.lst.

But the error 15 is probably a wrong UUID, you can check that by running as
root 'blkid' and check the UUID you get against fstab and the menu.lst.

update-grub not grub-update.

Of course you are correct, I guess I had a Senior Moment. :-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Wheezy - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda13
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4D6FA3C6.8010608@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6FA3C6.8010608@gmail.com

Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Jimmy Johnson

George wrote:

The way to do that is to first remove grub-pc and it will cleanup grub for
you, remember not to reboot yet ;-), then make sure you have a
/etc/boot/grub folder, now install grub-legacy, next run 'grub-update
/dev/sdax' (x being the partition number) and it will create a new menu.lst.

But the error 15 is probably a wrong UUID, you can check that by running as
root 'blkid' and check the UUID you get against fstab and the menu.lst.

update-grub not grub-update.

Indeed... I tried grub-update and it didn't work, so I just assumed my
old menu.lst will still work and turned off the computer. Now I'm at
work and won't be able to test it until I get home...

Sorry!
--

Archive: 4D6FA6CF.7070803@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6FA6CF.7070803@gmail.com

Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 AM
George

On 3/3/11, George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed... I tried grub-update and it didn't work, so I just assumed my
> old menu.lst will still work and turned off the computer. Now I'm at
> work and won't be able to test it until I get home...

Something unfortunate happened: I removed grub-pc and installed
grub-legacy, but my computer still boots using grub 1.97! It seems to
work fine now, but I don't like the fact that grub and grub-pc show up
as "not installed" in aptitude, grub-legacy shows up as "installed",
but my computer is booting with 1.97. What's going on here? Is it
possible that grub 1.97 was installed in the MBR? Forgive me if the
explanation is off-base, I'm not very familiar with the booting
procedure.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 05 mar 11, 09:41:34, George wrote:
> On 3/3/11, George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Indeed... I tried grub-update and it didn't work, so I just assumed my
> > old menu.lst will still work and turned off the computer. Now I'm at
> > work and won't be able to test it until I get home...
>
> Something unfortunate happened: I removed grub-pc and installed
> grub-legacy, but my computer still boots using grub 1.97! It seems to
> work fine now, but I don't like the fact that grub and grub-pc show up
> as "not installed" in aptitude, grub-legacy shows up as "installed",
> but my computer is booting with 1.97. What's going on here? Is it
> possible that grub 1.97 was installed in the MBR? Forgive me if the
> explanation is off-base, I'm not very familiar with the booting
> procedure.

I would just install grub-pc and be done with it.

Regards,
Andrei