Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Question Regarding Directory Prompts

The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My
memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc
regarding this. Is it set somewhere else?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to work with a One Laptop per Child
(olpc) laptop and the prompt never shows even the current directory.
The olpc is fedora based but I'm trying to get it to behave more like
Debian. My assumption is that aside from a few idiosyncracies fedora is
linux.

Tom

Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Thomas H. George wrote:
The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My
memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc
regarding this. Is it set somewhere else?

probably in /etc/bash.bashrc, /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile

Also, see the bash prompt howto.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Patrick Ouellette

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:01:20AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:01:20 -0500
> From: "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info>
> Subject: Question Regarding Directory Prompts
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My
> memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc regarding
> this. Is it set somewhere else?
>
> The reason I ask is that I am trying to work with a One Laptop per Child
> (olpc) laptop and the prompt never shows even the current directory. The
> olpc is fedora based but I'm trying to get it to behave more like Debian.
> My assumption is that aside from a few idiosyncracies fedora is linux.

Look in /etc/profile or ~/.bach_profile

--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
kb8pym@arrl.net Amateur Radio: KB8PYM

Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:01:20AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My
> memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc
> regarding this. Is it set somewhere else?

The default value of PS1 (the prompts in bourne shells) is something in
the lines of:

u@h:w$

In the manual page of bash, under 'PROMPTING' you'll find their
meanings. Specifically, w means:

the current working directory, with $HOME abbreviated
with a tilde

So you might have seen once the path truncated as you were at your home
directory.

> The reason I ask is that I am trying to work with a One Laptop per Child
> (olpc) laptop and the prompt never shows even the current directory.
> The olpc is fedora based but I'm trying to get it to behave more like
> Debian. My assumption is that aside from a few idiosyncracies fedora is
> linux.

Or a different value to PS1 . Try the following in your terminal:

echo $PS1
PS1_saved="$PS1"
PS1="d $PS1"
echo "just to see the new prompt"
PS1="$PS1_saved"

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:40:19PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
>> The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My
>> memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc
>> regarding this. Is it set somewhere else?
>
> probably in /etc/bash.bashrc, /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile
>
> Also, see the bash prompt howto.

Right, thanks. PS1 is set in /etc/bash.bashrc.

Tom

Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:40:01PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:01:20AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My
> > memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc
> > regarding this. Is it set somewhere else?
>
> The default value of PS1 (the prompts in bourne shells) is something in
> the lines of:
>
> u@h:w$
>
> In the manual page of bash, under 'PROMPTING' you'll find their
> meanings. Specifically, w means:
>
> the current working directory, with $HOME abbreviated
> with a tilde
>
> So you might have seen once the path truncated as you were at your home
> directory.
>

> > The reason I ask is that I am trying to work with a One Laptop per Child
> > (olpc) laptop and the prompt never shows even the current directory.
> > The olpc is fedora based but I'm trying to get it to behave more like
> > Debian. My assumption is that aside from a few idiosyncracies fedora is
> > linux.
>
> Or a different value to PS1 . Try the following in your terminal:
>
> echo $PS1
> PS1_saved="$PS1"
> PS1="d $PS1"
> echo "just to see the new prompt"