Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Bret Busby

Default Debian 6 uninstallable?

Hello.

To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web
site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to
install Debian 6, using it.

However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from
the CD.

I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
computer, without any problem.

Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Archive: alpine.DEB.1.10.1103021336480.7657@bretnewworkstat ion.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.1.10.1103021336480.7657@bretnewworkstat ion.busby.net

Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Lisi

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 05:41:54 Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web
> site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to
> install Debian 6, using it.
>
> However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from
> the CD.
>
> I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
> computer, without any problem.
>
> Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?

I have successfully installed from the Squeeze netinst CD. Have you checked
your download/burn for errors?

Lisi

Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web
site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to
install Debian 6, using it.

However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from
the CD.

I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
computer, without any problem.

Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?

Debian is probably the most installable distro there is, I install it on
all kinds of computers mac and pc.

Do you use the F10 or maybe the F12 key to choose the boot device? Did
you check the md5sum of the download or verify you have a good burn?
Maybe you have finger prints on the outside edge of the cd?

It's not a Live CD like Ubuntu and after doing the netinstall you will
also need to know what software you want/need to install, the netinstall
will give an internet connection and the base install only.

--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 11.0 Beta-2 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4D6DEC8A.5040309@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6DEC8A.5040309@gmail.com

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Tapas Mishra

Hi,
I just installed a pv-ops Dom0 2.6.32.27 Kernel on a 64 bit non VT machine.
Following instructions here
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0
for 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04

apt-get install bcc bin86 gawk bridge-utils iproute libcurl3
libcurl4-openssl-dev bzip2 module-init-tools transfig tgif texinfo
texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended texlive-fonts-extra
texlive-fonts-recommended pciutils-dev mercurial build-essential make
gcc libc6-dev zlib1g-dev python python-dev python-twisted
libncurses5-dev patch libvncserver-dev libsdl-dev libjpeg62-dev iasl
libbz2-dev e2fslibs-dev git-core uuid-dev ocaml libx11-dev bison flex

apt-get install gcc-multilib
apt-get install xz-utils

make xen
make tools
make install-xen
make install-tools PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=

I did not do make install-stubdom.

It is a Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 amd64 bit version.
Then as mentioned here on this guide
http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/virst-installvirt-manager-at-xen-4-0-rc8-2-6-32-10-pvops-dom0-on-top-ubuntu-karmic-koala-server/
(I did not follow the above guide strictly)

Commented out (xend-unix-server yes) in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp ,
here is my xend-config.sxp
http://pastebin.com/M8CfrqBc
Then exported variable VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”
in root’s .bashrc.
Then :-
# apt-get install ubuntu-virt-server ubuntu-virt-mgmt

Now when I open virt-manager the option to install from Local ISO or
PXE are greyed out.
virt-manager version is 0.8.2

virsh version shows following

Compiled against library: libvir 0.7.5
Using library: libvir 0.7.5
Using API: QEMU 0.7.5
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.3

Can above output be some kind of source to several existing problems?

Though I am able to boot to pv-ops Dom0 kernel and xm info output confirms that.
xm info
host : tapas
release : 2.6.32.27
version : #1 SMP Tue Mar 1 12:52:19 IST 2011
machine : x86_64
nr_cpus : 2
nr_nodes : 1
cores_per_socket : 2
threads_per_core : 1
cpu_mhz : 2100
hw_caps :
bfebfbff:20100800:00000000:00000940:0408e39d:00000 000:00000001:00000000
virt_caps :
total_memory : 3036
free_memory : 128
node_to_cpu : node0:0-1
node_to_memory : node0:128
node_to_dma32_mem : node0:128
max_node_id : 0
xen_major : 4
xen_minor : 0
xen_extra : .1
xen_caps : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p
xen_scheduler : credit
xen_pagesize : 4096
platform_params : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
xen_changeset : unavailable
xen_commandline : dummy=dummy
cc_compiler : gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
cc_compile_by : root
cc_compile_domain :
cc_compile_date : Tue Mar 1 10:51:33 IST 2011
xend_config_format : 4

xm list
Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s)
Domain-0 0 2870 2 r----- 36.9

virt-install -n LucidPVG -r 512 --paravirt --vnc -f /dev/sda9 -c
/home/tapas/Documents/ISO's/ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso --debug

Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Launched with command line:
/usr/bin/virt-install -n LucidPVG -r 512 --paravirt --vnc -f /dev/sda9
-c /home/tapas/Documents/ISO's/ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso --debug
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Requesting libvirt URI default
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Received libvirt URI xen:///
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Requesting virt method 'xen', hv
type 'default'.
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Received virt method 'xen'
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Hypervisor name is 'xen'
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Could not open
"/etc/sysconfig/keyboard" [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/etc/sysconfig/keyboard'
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 DEBUG Could not open
"/etc/X11/xorg.conf": [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:19:51 ERROR Paravirtualized guests cannot
install off cdrom media.

So this is the error this time I got.Since my machine is non VT 64 bit
so I feel I will be able to run only 32 bit hvm or pvm guests.I am
trying 32 bit Ubuntu 10.04 pv guest.
Let me know if you think there any thing is wrong.
I have in roots .bashrc as you said
VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”
also the line in xend-config.sxp
is uncommented.

but after all this creation of a PV DomU (OS Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit) on a
64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 on a non VT 64 bit machine is failing.
Let me know if some one has any clue about it?
I am trying it on pv-ops Dom0 kernel 2.6.32.27

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Ron Johnson

To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian
web site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried
to install Debian 6, using it.

However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot
from the CD.

Error message(s)?

I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
computer, without any problem.

Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D6DF2FD.9090302@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D6DF2FD.9090302@cox.net

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Tapas Mishra

Sorry I mixed the thread.It was a type error.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/03/11 16:41, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web
> site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to
> install Debian 6, using it.
>
> However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from
> the CD.
>
> I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
> computer, without any problem.
>
> Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> .................................................. ..

What was the datestring on in mate?
Which server did you pull it from?
Did you pull it down as an image? http, bittorrent, or jigdo?

Note: the au mirrors are currently updating, previously Sun Feb 6
02:34:05 2011 was the latest image
(http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-cd/ which is the Oz cd mirror)
which I've installed without problem (expert acpi=force desktop=kde).

Cheers

Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/03/11 16:41, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web
> site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to
> install Debian 6, using it.
>
> However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from
> the CD.
>
> I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
> computer, without any problem.
>
> Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> .................................................. ..

let me revise that last post:-

I installed on 4 machines using the previous netinst iso but install
line was just "expert acpi=force", desktop package selections came
later, those boxen required the "acpi=force" as they're fairly old, you
probably won't.

You don't say *which* netinst - I'm using "just" i386

You don't mention any error messages so I assume you didn't get any
(other than OS not found sort).

No problems using same image to upgrade a lenny boxen either. I've had
problems in the past with netinst iso cds on some drives - the tiny
image really tests the accuracy of the laser tracking, the same drives
that balks at booting a netinst will often have no problems with a dvd
image.

If the md5 sum checks out then that (sic) will be the cause of your
problem. (more error tolerance on outer track and disk spins slower)
I use a pxe server for my installs but that shouldn't affect whether a
burnt netinst iso boots for you or not.

Just now finished downloading freshly baked netsint iso, so latest
mirror updates are now complete.

Cheers

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Steve Kleene

In my hands it was uninstallable. With an md5sum-checked CD of this:
Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 "Squeeze" - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1
20110205-14:34
it booted, got about halfway through the install, and then started giving CD
errors. I tried a second checked CD as well, and trying to install from a
flash drive also gave CD errors. I filed bug report #613835.

I was able to install testing (Wheezy) from a CD and have given up on Squeeze.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/03/11 23:43, Steve Kleene wrote:
> In my hands it was uninstallable. With an md5sum-checked CD of this:
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 "Squeeze" - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1
> 20110205-14:34
> it booted, got about halfway through the install, and then started giving CD
> errors. I tried a second checked CD as well, and trying to install from a
> flash drive also gave CD errors. I filed bug report #613835.
>
> I was able to install testing (Wheezy) from a CD and have given up on Squeeze.

Did you just do the breadcrumb (hit enter) install?
I used the non-gui, full option, install (expert) with manual
partitioning - same version as the one you've quoted above.

While it's unlikely that acpi would 'cause your problem (I'm guessing) I
have had a case some years ago where Xandros would only install if acpi
was forced - in my, current, case I don't think it was needed for the
install - I'm just lazy and new that these boxen (three boxes, one
laptop) require it or shutdown results in a hang. I suspect that either
the gui option or auto-partitioning "might" be a cause.
Additionally I have seen similar errors to what you describe in your bug
report when installing Lenny onto old Toshibas last year - it puzzled me
for a while why an install from the cd should stop part way through due
to not being able to find the cd it was installing from... then it
dawned on me that I needed to force DMA off on the cd drive.

Your bug report does not say which install options you chose.... did you
try only the one dvd drive?
I note you tried a usb-key install which makes me guess it wasn't a
problem with the cd drive reading the inner tracks.

Unfortunately I no longer have that netinst image (replaced with last
nights one)- so I can't test it. I heard no complaints about the
machines built with that image though. I shall be building some
virtualbox appliances tomorrow with the latest netinst - I'll post here
if I have any problems.

Seems it wasn't that many years ago when I could never seem to find any
linux distro that "just" installed by hitting enter - I got so used to
having to try every install option that I could never bring myself to do
the default chicken install. Note: we call it chicken not because it's a
weak option - simply because we hoped we could glue bread to the enter
key and leave a chicken to earn our wages while we went to the pub.

Cheers