Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Steve Smith

Default NTP-Server no longer available in Squeeze?

Title: NTP-Server no longer available in Squeeze?

Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is no longer available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Eero Volotinen

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ntp

--
Eero

Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-03-01, Steve Smith <ssmith@xpressdocs.com> wrote:
> --_000_C992D105B960ssmithxpressdocscom_
>
> Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is no l=
> onger available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

>From the description of the ntp package:

"This package contains the NTP daemon and utility programs. An NTP
daemon needs to be running on each host that is to have its clock
accuracy controlled by NTP. The same NTP daemon is also used to provide
NTP service to other hosts."

Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Steve Smith wrote:
Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is
no longer available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Steve

Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
installed, it's the client, it will check to Internet server and set the
time at each boot. It's in your Debian repos.

--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 11.0 Beta-2 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4D6DB2AC.4020102@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6DB2AC.4020102@gmail.com

Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 AM
John Hasler

Jimmy Johnson writes:
> Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
> installed...

Ntpdate is deprecated.

> ...it's the client...

It is a client, and a very limited one. Ntpd is both client and
server. Use it or Chrony.
--
John Hasler

Old 03-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Jimmy Johnson

John Hasler wrote:

Jimmy Johnson writes:

Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
installed...

Ntpdate is deprecated.

...it's the client...

It is a client, and a very limited one. Ntpd is both client and
server. Use it or Chrony.

Hi John,

I appreciate your post and it's not the first time mentioned, I've been
using ntpdate for many years and still do with KDE, so I don't
understand the problem, ntpdate gets the time from a Internet server and
sets my clock, I don't need to install a server to do that. So what is
the problem?

--

Archive: 4D6DBFCB.2030906@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6DBFCB.2030906@gmail.com

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Mart Frauenlob

Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is
no longer available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

apt-cache search "^ntp"
aptitude search "^ntp"

Archive: 4D6E0CEE.9000905@chello.at">http://lists.debian.org/4D6E0CEE.9000905@chello.at

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <4D6DBFCB.2030906@gmail.com>, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>John Hasler wrote:
>> Jimmy Johnson writes:
>>> Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
>>> installed...
>>
>> Ntpdate is deprecated.
>
>I appreciate your post and it's not the first time mentioned, I've been
>using ntpdate for many years and still do with KDE, so I don't
>understand the problem, ntpdate gets the time from a Internet server and
>sets my clock, I don't need to install a server to do that. So what is
>the problem?

Most computers have a decided skew in their clock speed, so that they need to
be constantly adjusted to retain the correct time. Setting this time once
only gives the perception of accuracy. VMs are even worse; if their clock
doesn't run 3x as fast or 3x as slow it changes speed unpredictably.

I use openntpd with the -s startup option.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> > Jimmy Johnson writes:
> >> Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
> >> installed...
>

> > Ntpdate is deprecated.
>

> >> ...it's the client...
>

> > It is a client, and a very limited one. Ntpd is both client and
> > server. Use it or Chrony.
>

> Hi John,
>
> I appreciate your post and it's not the first time mentioned, I've been
> using ntpdate for many years and still do with KDE, so I don't
> understand the problem, ntpdate gets the time from a Internet server and
> sets my clock, I don't need to install a server to do that. So what is
> the problem?
<snip>
As mentioned, I believe ntpdate is deprecated and ntpd -q (not 100% sure
of the option) is the preferred one-shot synchronizer - John