-   -   NTP-Server no longer available in Squeeze? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/495964-ntp-server-no-longer-available-squeeze.html)

Steve Smith 03-01-2011 09:36 PM

NTP-Server no longer available in Squeeze?

Title: NTP-Server no longer available in Squeeze?

Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is no longer available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,

Steve

Eero Volotinen 03-01-2011 10:03 PM

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ntp

--
Eero

Liam O'Toole 03-01-2011 10:20 PM

On 2011-03-01, Steve Smith <ssmith@xpressdocs.com> wrote:
> --_000_C992D105B960ssmithxpressdocscom_
>
> Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is no l=
> onger available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

>From the description of the ntp package:

"This package contains the NTP daemon and utility programs. An NTP
daemon needs to be running on each host that is to have its clock
accuracy controlled by NTP. The same NTP daemon is also used to provide
NTP service to other hosts."

Jimmy Johnson 03-02-2011 01:59 AM

Steve Smith wrote:
Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is
no longer available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Steve

Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
installed, it's the client, it will check to Internet server and set the
time at each boot. It's in your Debian repos.

--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 11.0 Beta-2 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4D6DB2AC.4020102@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6DB2AC.4020102@gmail.com

John Hasler 03-02-2011 02:26 AM

Jimmy Johnson writes:
> Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
> installed...

Ntpdate is deprecated.

> ...it's the client...

It is a client, and a very limited one. Ntpd is both client and
server. Use it or Chrony.
--
John Hasler

Jimmy Johnson 03-02-2011 02:55 AM

John Hasler wrote:

Jimmy Johnson writes:

Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
installed...

Ntpdate is deprecated.

...it's the client...

It is a client, and a very limited one. Ntpd is both client and
server. Use it or Chrony.

Hi John,

I appreciate your post and it's not the first time mentioned, I've been
using ntpdate for many years and still do with KDE, so I don't
understand the problem, ntpdate gets the time from a Internet server and
sets my clock, I don't need to install a server to do that. So what is
the problem?

--

Archive: 4D6DBFCB.2030906@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6DBFCB.2030906@gmail.com

Mart Frauenlob 03-02-2011 08:25 AM

NTP-Server no longer available in Squeeze?

Was going to setup a central time server, but found that NTP-Server is
no longer available in Squeeze. Are there any alternatives?

apt-cache search "^ntp"
aptitude search "^ntp"

Archive: 4D6E0CEE.9000905@chello.at">http://lists.debian.org/4D6E0CEE.9000905@chello.at

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 03-02-2011 11:31 AM

In <4D6DBFCB.2030906@gmail.com>, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>John Hasler wrote:
>> Jimmy Johnson writes:
>>> Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
>>> installed...
>>
>> Ntpdate is deprecated.
>
>I appreciate your post and it's not the first time mentioned, I've been
>using ntpdate for many years and still do with KDE, so I don't
>understand the problem, ntpdate gets the time from a Internet server and
>sets my clock, I don't need to install a server to do that. So what is
>the problem?

Most computers have a decided skew in their clock speed, so that they need to
be constantly adjusted to retain the correct time. Setting this time once
only gives the perception of accuracy. VMs are even worse; if their clock
doesn't run 3x as fast or 3x as slow it changes speed unpredictably.

I use openntpd with the -s startup option.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

"John A. Sullivan III" 03-02-2011 11:35 AM

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> > Jimmy Johnson writes:
> >> Instead of the 'ntp' server what you probably want is 'ntpdate'
> >> installed...
>

> > Ntpdate is deprecated.
>

> >> ...it's the client...
>

> > It is a client, and a very limited one. Ntpd is both client and
> > server. Use it or Chrony.
>

> Hi John,
>
> I appreciate your post and it's not the first time mentioned, I've been
> using ntpdate for many years and still do with KDE, so I don't
> understand the problem, ntpdate gets the time from a Internet server and
> sets my clock, I don't need to install a server to do that. So what is
> the problem?
<snip>
As mentioned, I believe ntpdate is deprecated and ntpd -q (not 100% sure
of the option) is the preferred one-shot synchronizer - John