Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM
freeman

Default sysv-rc-conf and LSB headers

Hey,

Is there a replacement for sysv-rc-conf? I assume it is obsolete since LSB
headers now control the initscript sequence.

Been using /usr/lib/lsb/[install|remove]_initd . (Don't know whether insserv
is better.)

sysv-rc-conf was a nice tool.

Freeman

March 1, 1960: John McCarthy's LISP, "the mother tongue of AI," Programmer's Manual Released

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 01 mar 11, 11:38:20, freeman wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is there a replacement for sysv-rc-conf? I assume it is obsolete since LSB
> headers now control the initscript sequence.
>
> Been using /usr/lib/lsb/[install|remove]_initd . (Don't know whether insserv
> is better.)
>
> sysv-rc-conf was a nice tool.

Only the priority settings have been made obsolete by insserv, you can
still edit runlevels with it.

If you really need to locally adjust the ordering (is the LSB header
correct for all involved scripts? Maybe you found a bug) I think insserv
has some ways to override the information in the LSB headers.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Freeman

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 02:17:17PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 01 mar 11, 11:38:20, freeman wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Is there a replacement for sysv-rc-conf? I assume it is obsolete since LSB
> > headers now control the initscript sequence.
> >
> > Been using /usr/lib/lsb/[install|remove]_initd . (Don't know whether insserv
> > is better.)
> >
> > sysv-rc-conf was a nice tool.
>
> Only the priority settings have been made obsolete by insserv, you can
> still edit runlevels with it.
>
> If you really need to locally adjust the ordering (is the LSB header
> correct for all involved scripts? Maybe you found a bug) I think insserv
> has some ways to override the information in the LSB headers.

No bugs & all is well after some insserv practice. I just liked the luxury
of a curses front-end overview of configs and changes. With insserv, a
visual confirmation requires checking the rc_.d directories.

Thanx.

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 02 mar 11, 21:32:48, Freeman wrote:

> No bugs & all is well after some insserv practice. I just liked the luxury
> of a curses front-end overview of configs and changes. With insserv, a
> visual confirmation requires checking the rc_.d directories.

You might want to check the current thread on debian-devel about
starting daemons. One tip I learned is that after re-enabling a daemon
you have to run insserv to reorder the scripts.

Regards,
Andrei