Old 03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
AG

Default Amarok crashing on launch

Hi

Amarok is crashing almost immediately that I launch it on an up-to-date
testing/ wheezy machine using Gnome as the DE. Yesterday, Amarok worked
fine, today it doesn't. I've run amarok --debug at the command line and
get literally streams of output, with multi-colored code tags (I
think). However, attempting to capture this output via amarok --debug >
amarok.txt (or | amarok.txt) doesn't capture anything at all in a text
format that I can copy and paste as part of this request for help.

Two questions, then:

(1) how do I capture all of the debugging output from amarok --debug?

(2) any initial thoughts on why Amarok might start to crash today? I
updated today and rebooted yesterday, and Amarok was working fine for me
yesterday after I booted up. So, it may have been something in today's
updates (I only had 7 packages updated, but cannot remember which).

TIA

AG

Archive: 4D6D35E7.9030601@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6D35E7.9030601@gmail.com

Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Simon Brandmair

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:30:02 +0100 AG wrote:

> However, attempting to capture this output via amarok --debug >
> amarok.txt (or | amarok.txt) doesn't capture anything at all in a text
> format that I can copy and paste as part of this request for help.
>
> Two questions, then:
>
> (1) how do I capture all of the debugging output from amarok --debug?

How about `amarok --debug 2> amarok_err.txt` ?

> (2) any initial thoughts on why Amarok might start to crash today? I
> updated today and rebooted yesterday, and Amarok was working fine for me
> yesterday after I booted up. So, it may have been something in today's
> updates (I only had 7 packages updated, but cannot remember which).

If you use aptitude to update your system, it keeps the update history
in /var/log/aptitude. Maybe you find something there.

Cheers,
Simon

Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Jeffrin Jose

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 06:07:35PM +0000, AG wrote:
> (1) how do I capture all of the debugging output from amarok --debug?

I think You may start gnome terminal and run "amarok --debug 2> debug.txt".

> (2) any initial thoughts on why Amarok might start to crash today?
> I updated today and rebooted yesterday, and Amarok was working fine
> for me yesterday after I booted up. So, it may have been something
> in today's updates (I only had 7 packages updated, but cannot
> remember which).

"ldd /usr/bin/amarok" will give you library dependencies for amarok.

example output :
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff7bd2d000)

install a package called apt-file.
do "apt-file update"
now you may find which package gives.... by
"apt-file find linux-vdso.so.1"

so you can select a check the packages that amarok is
depended on.

/Jeffrin.

--
software engineer.
department of computer science

Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Simon Brandmair wrote:

However, attempting to capture this output via amarok --debug >
amarok.txt (or | amarok.txt) doesn't capture anything at all in a text
format that I can copy and paste as part of this request for help.

Two questions, then:

(1) how do I capture all of the debugging output from amarok --debug?

How about `amarok --debug 2> amarok_err.txt` ?

(2) any initial thoughts on why Amarok might start to crash today? I
updated today and rebooted yesterday, and Amarok was working fine for me
yesterday after I booted up. So, it may have been something in today's
updates (I only had 7 packages updated, but cannot remember which).

If you use aptitude to update your system, it keeps the update history
in /var/log/aptitude. Maybe you find something there.

If you use apt-get, it's history is in /var/log/apt

Archive: ikjq4i$g75$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ikjq4i$g75$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Klistvud

(2) any initial thoughts on why Amarok might start to crash today? I
updated today and rebooted yesterday, and Amarok was working fine for
me yesterday after I booted up. So, it may have been something in
today's updates (I only had 7 packages updated, but cannot remember
which).

The first thing to check is, does it crash in another user account?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
AG

However, attempting to capture this output via amarok --debug >
amarok.txt (or | amarok.txt) doesn't capture anything at all in a text
format that I can copy and paste as part of this request for help.

Two questions, then:

(1) how do I capture all of the debugging output from amarok --debug?

How about `amarok --debug 2> amarok_err.txt` ?

(2) any initial thoughts on why Amarok might start to crash today? I
updated today and rebooted yesterday, and Amarok was working fine
for me

yesterday after I booted up. So, it may have been something in today's
updates (I only had 7 packages updated, but cannot remember which).

If you use aptitude to update your system, it keeps the update
history in /var/log/aptitude. Maybe you find something there.

If you use apt-get, it's history is in /var/log/apt

Thanks Hugo & Simon. I've sent a query to the Amarok mailing list and
filed the KDE bug report as well.

Cheers
AG

Archive: 4D6FF3A1.9060606@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6FF3A1.9060606@gmail.com