Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 AM
"mike cutie and maia"

Default help setting up an e-mail server for a newbie

Hi all,

I am new when it comes to setting up mail servers I got my bind9 to work but
I need some instructions to set up a mail server with pop3 and also to make
sure that people using Microsoft can fatch and retrieve mail from the server
any ideas?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Mihira Fernando

I am new when it comes to setting up mail servers I got my bind9 to work but
I need some instructions to set up a mail server with pop3 and also to make
sure that people using Microsoft can fatch and retrieve mail from the server
any ideas?

If you're looking for total exchange replacement, I'd suggest using
Zimbra. If not, Postfix SMTP server + Dovecot POP3/IMAP server will do
just fine.

Here's a easy to follow guide : http://workaround.org/ispmail/lenny

Mihira.

Archive: 4D6C5C58.3050003@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D6C5C58.3050003@gmail.com

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:58:01 -0600, mike cutie and maia wrote:

> I am new when it comes to setting up mail servers I got my bind9 to work
> but I need some instructions to set up a mail server with pop3 and also
> to make sure that people using Microsoft can fatch and retrieve mail
> from the server any ideas?

There are tons of possibilities :-)

You can start by deciding the involved applications and the layout/scheme
for your new e-mail system.

Applications (in no concrete order):

- SMTP server: postfix, exim, qmail, sendmail...

- POP3/IMAP server: cyrus, dovecot, courier-imap...

- Anti-malware/anti-spam (optional but highly recommended): spamassassin,
clamav, amavisd-new...

- Webmail (optional): squirrelmail, horde, roundcube...

Do not care for windows users. As long as they use (almost)standard e-
mail based clients (like windows mail, outlook 2010, thunderbird, etc...)
there should be not problem at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón