Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Rob Hurle

Default Input methods and terminal - any ideas?

I'm fairly new to Debian, but not to Unix. I'm using a standard
Lenny install (Squeeze later, when I have more confidence) and use KDE
as the desktop. I need to use an input method for non-English scripts
and have been reviewing scim and the offerings there. I am not ready
to install this yet, but have installed all the fonts I will need
(UTF-8) and the locale is set appropriately. To my surprise, I find
that Gnome terminal already has all of the input methods that I need.
Where did they come from? Neither konsole nor xterm seem to have an
input method option. Does anyone know if I can re-jig the input
methods of terminal so that I can access them directly through
OpenOffice, Iceweasel or KDE applications (apart from copy and paste)?

Any ideas would help. Thank you.

Rob Hurle

--
-----------------------------
Rob Hurle

Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Rob Hurle

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply:

On 1 March 2011 16:03, Michael Tsang <miklcct@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 March 2011 08:16:31 Rob Hurle wrote:
>> (UTF-8) and the locale is set appropriately. *To my surprise, I find
>> that Gnome terminal already has all of the input methods that I need.
>> Where did they come from? *Neither konsole nor xterm seem to have an
> Is some sort of IMs installed as part of dependency?
>> input method option. *Does anyone know if I can re-jig the input
> Is the qt counterpart installed?
>> methods of terminal so that I can access them directly through
>> OpenOffice, Iceweasel or KDE applications (apart from copy and paste)?I
>
> What has offered when you run im-config ?

rob@debianrob:/var/log/cups> im-config
bash: im-config: command not found
rob@debianrob:/var/log/cups> sudo im-config
sudo: im-config: command not found

It doesn't appear that any im is installed. Maybe this input method
I'm seeing is built in to Gnome terminal?

Cheers,
Rob
--
-----------------------------

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:16:31 +1100, Rob Hurle wrote:

(...)

> To my surprise, I find that Gnome terminal
> already has all of the input methods that I need. Where did they come
> from? Neither konsole nor xterm seem to have an input method option.

SCIM is enabled with GTK+ and so most of the GNOME apps provide the right-
click input method facility.

> Does anyone know if I can re-jig the input methods of terminal so that I
> can access them directly through OpenOffice, Iceweasel or KDE
> applications (apart from copy and paste)?

OOo and Iceweasel are... well, better if you read it from here:

http://www.scim-im.org/wiki/faq/gtk_gnome

For KDE/Qt there is additional information on that same page :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón