Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
"Jim Kester"

Default unable to login as root

I installed debian 6.0.0 amd64 netinst. I installed about 3 different time. I can login to my regular account and everything seems to work. Since I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 x2 I thought I should be using this version. I get an authentication failure when I try to login as root.* I tried the 32 bit version before this and was able to login as root. I've checked my password many times. I've been using computers for about 20 years. Started with Dos than Windows. I tried linux a few years ago and didn't have much luck with it. Seems to have improved. Look like I've gotten everything to work except my printer (Brother MFC-5860CN). Anyone know what might be going on with my root login and if their is away to make my printer to work. It's not listed in the database of printers.
Thanks

In God We Trust!Have a nice day!Jim Kester

Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Montag, 28. Februar 2011 schrieb Jim Kester:
> I installed debian 6.0.0 amd64 netinst. I installed about 3 different time.
> I can login to my regular account and everything seems to work. Since I'm
> using an AMD Athlon 64 x2 I thought I should be using this version. I get
> an authentication failure when I try to login as root. I tried the 32 bit
> version before this and was able to login as root. I've checked my
> password many times. I've been using computers for about 20 years. Started
> with Dos than Windows. I tried linux a few years ago and didn't have much
> luck with it. Seems to have improved. Look like I've gotten everything to
> work except my printer (Brother MFC-5860CN). Anyone know what might be
> going on with my root login and if their is away to make my printer to
> work. It's not listed in the database of printers.
>
> Thanks
>
> In God We Trust!
> Have a nice day!
> Jim Kester

Hi Jim,

you could check the settings of the root-device. Also maybe you got sudoers
activated, so that it is not possible, to login as root.

If you got the wrong password, edit /etc/shadow by using a live-cd, and delete
the password. So you can login without any password as root.

If this is working, set a new password.

Good luck

Hans

Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Ron Johnson

I installed debian 6.0.0 amd64 netinst. I installed about 3
different time. I can login to my regular account and everything
seems to work.

From the console or from a GUI?

If from the GUI, then that's (probably) on purpose, since logging
into root from the GUI gets you in the habit of doing so, and That's
A Very Bad Idea.

Since I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 x2 I thought I
should be using this version. I get an authentication failure when I
try to login as root. I tried the 32 bit version before this and was
able to login as root. I've checked my password many times. I've
been using computers for about 20 years. Started with Dos than
Windows.

So has my wife, but I don't think (nay, I *know*) she can't install
and config Debian.

I tried linux a few years ago and didn't have much luck
with it.

I needed a "friendly" distro when I first started with Linux. Maybe
you do to. Ubuntu 10.04LTS is what I put on my wife/kids PC, but
I've also heard good things about Mint.

Seems to have improved. Look like I've gotten everything to
work except my printer (Brother MFC-5860CN). Anyone know what might
be going on with my root login and if their is away to make my
printer to work. It's not listed in the database of printers.

A little Googling finds this thread seems to indicate that your
printer *is* supported:

I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.