Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default A Debian -offtopic mailing list: to be or not to be

[Cross-posted to: d-community-offtopic, debian-user]

[For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please see #425439
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=425439]

Hi,

Being the stubborn person that I am, I want to give one more chance to
the -offtopic list for Debian users and/or developers.

Thanks to Holger Levsen, the list is currently hosted on
lists.alioth.debian.org by the Debian Community project and has some 30+
subscribers. However, activity is zero (not counting the occasional
spam).

Interestingly, the OT threads on debian-user also went down a lot since
a few years, for reasons unknown to me.

So, unless something happens on the list (apart from this thread and the
spam) I intend to remove/delete the list within a month.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Slicky Johnson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:34:04 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Cross-posted to: d-community-offtopic, debian-user]
>
> [For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please see #425439
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=425439]
>
> Hi,
>
> Being the stubborn person that I am, I want to give one more chance
> to the -offtopic list for Debian users and/or developers.
>
> Thanks to Holger Levsen, the list is currently hosted on
> lists.alioth.debian.org by the Debian Community project and has some
> 30+ subscribers. However, activity is zero (not counting the
> occasional spam).
>
> Interestingly, the OT threads on debian-user also went down a lot
> since a few years, for reasons unknown to me.
>
> So, unless something happens on the list (apart from this thread and
> the spam) I intend to remove/delete the list within a month.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Well I like the idea of this list, and it would be nice to see more
activity. I'm not exactly sure why the list would need to be killed.
Running out of space? lol.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Jens Van Broeckhoven

Op Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:34:04 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> schreef:

> [Cross-posted to: d-community-offtopic, debian-user]
>
> [For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please see #425439
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=425439]
>
> Hi,
>
> Being the stubborn person that I am, I want to give one more chance
> to the -offtopic list for Debian users and/or developers.
>
> Thanks to Holger Levsen, the list is currently hosted on
> lists.alioth.debian.org by the Debian Community project and has some
> 30+ subscribers. However, activity is zero (not counting the
> occasional spam).
>
> Interestingly, the OT threads on debian-user also went down a lot
> since a few years, for reasons unknown to me.
>
> So, unless something happens on the list (apart from this thread and
> the spam) I intend to remove/delete the list within a month.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I would like to see an offtopic list as long as it's main purpose isn't:
"this is where all garbage ends".

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 17:34, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Cross-posted to: d-community-offtopic, debian-user]
>
> [For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please see #425439
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=425439]
>
> Hi,
>
> Being the stubborn person that I am, I want to give one more chance to
> the -offtopic list for Debian users and/or developers.
>
> Thanks to Holger Levsen, the list is currently hosted on
> lists.alioth.debian.org by the Debian Community project and has some 30+
> subscribers. However, activity is zero (not counting the occasional
> spam).
>
> Interestingly, the OT threads on debian-user also went down a lot since
> a few years, for reasons unknown to me.
>
> So, unless something happens on the list (apart from this thread and the
> spam) I intend to remove/delete the list within a month.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I'll subscribe. I see that the OOo and Ubuntu offtopic lists are a
good way to keep real thread _on_ topic.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi,

In short, seeing what has been posted over the past 12 months, I can't
see the point in having the list, sorry.

There are so many emails, forums, etc .... there isn't enough hours for
me to consume any more time. There is plenty of "noise" on some of the
lists that I already subscribe, such noise can be interesting, but most
of the time, it is something else to read and/or discard.

There's plenty of information overload on tap already!

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4D6BE532.1000702@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D6BE532.1000702@affinityvision.com.au

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:34:04 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> [Cross-posted to: d-community-offtopic, debian-user]

(removing off-topic just in case because I'm not subscribed)

> [For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please see #425439
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=425439]

(reading...)

> Hi,
>
> Being the stubborn person that I am, I want to give one more chance to
> the -offtopic list for Debian users and/or developers.
>
> Thanks to Holger Levsen, the list is currently hosted on
> lists.alioth.debian.org by the Debian Community project and has some 30+
> subscribers. However, activity is zero (not counting the occasional
> spam).
>
> Interestingly, the OT threads on debian-user also went down a lot since
> a few years, for reasons unknown to me.
>
> So, unless something happens on the list (apart from this thread and the
> spam) I intend to remove/delete the list within a month.

First, congrats for the way you acted. I think I'd also have done it that
way.

Second, I also find useful such lists, many people here shares a good and
long-term virtual relationship and like talking about off-topic questions
(and also getting feedback for those matters) so that kind of lists can
have its uses for Debian users.

And third, thanks for jumping into this mailing list. I'm sure many of us
weren't aware of the existence of d-community-offtopic and now can be
interested in subscribing.

But mailing lists also die... for multiple reasons (people is not
interested in posting anymore on those topics, they have no time to post
or went elsewhere -I mean, they installed another distribution- and then
losing contact with the old buddies). You said you are thinking in
removing the mailing list and I wonder... why don't just let it die
instead having a deadline? If nobody posts, well, you can remove at any
time, and since it is not resource demanding (nor for storage nor
bandwidth) it will not hurt to keep it a bit more.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM