Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default Migrate debian etch to virtual machine (vmware)

On Monday 28 February 2011 05:58:30 Márcio Luciano Donada wrote:
> Hi People
> Physically I'm running a debian server 4 for the e-mail, but I'm having
> problems to use the tool to perform VM virtualization. I wonder if there
> is another way to virtualize this machine, do some kind of backup so you
> can import it in vmware. Does anyone have any tips that might help?

Etch is likely to be growing a number of security issues, since it hasn't had
support for about a year. I wonder if you are using a vulnerable version of
exim that exposes you to direct "rooting" from anyone that can connect to your
SMTP server. Your kernel (even if it is the Etch-and-half version) probably
has some locale privilege escalation attacks, which could be important
depending on who other service you provide or vulnerabilities you suffer.

Don't do anything with this system until you upgrade it to Lenny, at least.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))