Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Default debian kernel panic no init found

Hi all,

after updating my Debian box, it ceases to boot with above error. I use kernel 2.6.32. Booting older 2.6.28 seems to run the init process well (but has other issues).

Somebody has an idea what went wrong?

KR, m

Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
kuLa

Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 28 feb 11, 13:09:20, DirkyDirk@gmx.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after updating my Debian box, it ceases to boot with above error. I
> use kernel 2.6.32. Booting older 2.6.28 seems to run the init process
> well (but has other issues).
>
> Somebody has an idea what went wrong?

I suspect problems mounting the root partition. Make sure your fstab and
grub.cfg (or menu.lst, you didn't mention what release you are using)
use UUIDs or LABELs everywhere.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
dirkydirk

Hi,

yes, there's init in it. But the directory structure of the ramdisc
looks quite different from a 2.6.31 ramdisc on another computer.

Unfortunately I did run update-initramfs -k all, and now even the 2.6.26
kernel refuses to boot. Same error.

>From the recent grml live-distro I copied kernel and modules, so at
least I can boot into my system. Then I installed 2.6.37 via aptitude
and got the same issue. Also, updating the ramdisk the debian-way via
dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.37-1-amd64 did not help.

I conclude then, there's an issue with the update script. (I'm running
Debian sid, btw.)

KR, m

Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
dirkydirk

It's grub2 and UUIDs are used; and grub finds the kernel and the ramdisc
file. (If it would not find them, grub would show a different msg.
Already encountered and solved that a while ago when grub had an issue
with wanting "/boot" in the path

I suspect the script that generates the ramdisc to be faulty. See my
other reply here:

KR, m

Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 28 feb 11, 15:54:38, dirkydirk wrote:
> It's grub2 and UUIDs are used; and grub finds the kernel and the ramdisc
> file. (If it would not find them, grub would show a different msg.
> Already encountered and solved that a while ago when grub had an issue
> with wanting "/boot" in the path

And fstab also?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 15:37 +0100, dirkydirk wrote:

> I conclude then, there's an issue with the update script. (I'm running
> Debian sid, btw.)

An important piece of information. Which version of libc-bin do you have
installed (dpkg -l libc-bin). If you have 2.11.2-12 you might have run into
[0], but you probably would have mentioned the other symptoms that accompany
that bug as well. As always: It is a good idea to have apt-listbugs installed.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%23615806#10
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
: :' :

Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM, dirkydirk <dirkydirk@gmx.net> wrote:

> I suspect the script that generates the ramdisc to be faulty. See my
> other reply here:

Have you tried running update-initramfs one kernel at a time rather
than "update-initramfs -k all" - and anyway can it be run without "-c"
or "-u"?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
dirkydirk

Hmm, interestingly only swap and tmp were listed with an UUID. But alas,
it did not work out to list the other partitions with their UUID.
Should I mention that software raid and lvm is used?

KR, m

Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Wolodja Wentland wrote:

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 15:37 +0100, dirkydirk wrote:

I conclude then, there's an issue with the update script. (I'm running
Debian sid, btw.)

An important piece of information. Which version of libc-bin do you have
installed (dpkg -l libc-bin). If you have 2.11.2-12 you might have run into
[0], but you probably would have mentioned the other symptoms that accompany
that bug as well. As always: It is a good idea to have apt-listbugs installed.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%23615806#10

That's true, except for the fact that listbugs sits there for ever
without giving a clue as to what it is doing... I removed it...

Hugo