Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Chris Bannister

Default testing/unstable(sid) in sources.lst ok? (was Problems installing VLC )

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:10:31AM +0000, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
> AG said:
>
> Actually it was deceptively simple: added a line for unstable in my
> sources.list, updated, and then installed vlc. Hopefully this will not
> come back to bite me, but all went very easily.

teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:

> Just be sure to comment the unstable repos from your sources list after the fact

AFAIR, if you are running testing it is recommended to have testing AND
unstable repositories listed in your sources.lst.

[..]

> To flush the repository system, do it now so you don't forget and do an upgrade by accident...

To where would you be upgrading?

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:05:53PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> AFAIR, if you are running testing it is recommended to have testing AND
> unstable repositories listed in your sources.lst.

ARRRGH, sorry. That should be:
AFAIR, if you are running unstable it is recommended to have unstable AND
testing repositories listed in your sources.lst.

Not sure it is true if you are running testing.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 28 feb 11, 23:36:30, Chris Bannister wrote:

> ARRRGH, sorry. That should be:
> AFAIR, if you are running unstable it is recommended to have unstable AND
> testing repositories listed in your sources.lst.
>
> Not sure it is true if you are running testing.

On occasion I had to install packages from unstable on testing machines.

Setting Default-Release (or equivalent pinning) is a must though,
otherwise you end up using unstable on the next upgrade.

Regards,
Andrei