Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 AM
Long Wind

Default Can you recommend a audio/video package?

Currently I use helix producer 9. It meets my three requirements:

1) It works on slow PC. It can run on my P3/550. (I have another PC
that runs P4/1.6G)

2) It use compression. For video size 384x288, it take about 100 M for
one hour of TV recording

3) It can be played on Windows and Linux (by Real player)

but it seems to work only in kernel 2.4
many new distro no longer support kernel 2.4
so I want to find a new package
There are many packages in Debian
but do they work?
can they meet all three requirements above?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:05:55 +0800, Long Wind wrote:

> Currently I use helix producer 9. It meets my three requirements:
>
> 1) It works on slow PC. It can run on my P3/550. (I have another PC that
> runs P4/1.6G)
>
> 2) It use compression. For video size 384x288, it take about 100 M for
> one hour of TV recording
>
> 3) It can be played on Windows and Linux (by Real player)
>
> but it seems to work only in kernel 2.4 many new distro no longer
> support kernel 2.4 so I want to find a new package
> There are many packages in Debian
> but do they work?
> can they meet all three requirements above?

Hum... I dunno what is the use you are giving Helix Producer but FFmpeg
(command line based) is a beast for any task involving A/V encoding/
decoding.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón