Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
George

Default Intermittent internet since upgrading to squeeze

Ever since I upgraded to squeeze I have intermittent internet. It works for about 30-45 seconds, then it stops. I have to do

ifdown -a
ifup -a

which brings it back, only for it to go down again. The strange part is that no such problems occur when booting into recovery mode. I tried disabling ipv6 at the kernel level but it didn't make any difference. This is simple Ethernet networking and it was working fine in lenny.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:48:23 +0200, George wrote:

> Ever since I upgraded to squeeze I have intermittent internet. It works
> for about 30-45 seconds, then it stops. I have to do
>
> ifdown -a
> ifup -a
>
> which brings it back, only for it to go down again. The strange part is
> that no such problems occur when booting into recovery mode. I tried
> disabling ipv6 at the kernel level but it didn't make any difference.
> This is simple Ethernet networking and it was working fine in lenny.

Simple ethernet networking can be "not that simple" :-)

Are you using dhcp or any dial client (pppd)?
Are you using NetworkManager?
Can you still make local pings?
Can you browse the web if you specify the IP address of the host?
Ethernet card and driver?

We need more data and logs (if available and provide something relevant).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Klistvud

Ever since I upgraded to squeeze I have intermittent internet. It
works for

about 30-45 seconds, then it stops. I have to do

ifdown -a
ifup -a

which brings it back, only for it to go down again. The strange part
is that
no such problems occur when booting into recovery mode. I tried
disabling
ipv6 at the kernel level but it didn't make any difference. This is
simple

Ethernet networking and it was working fine in lenny.

If you post the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces, there are
usually some quite savvy network guys lurking here who should be able
to help you. It's probably just network-manager acting up.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
George

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:48:23 +0200, George wrote:
>
> > Ever since I upgraded to squeeze I have intermittent internet. It works
> > for about 30-45 seconds, then it stops. I have to do
> >
> > ifdown -a
> > ifup -a
> >
> > which brings it back, only for it to go down again. The strange part is
> > that no such problems occur when booting into recovery mode. I tried
> > disabling ipv6 at the kernel level but it didn't make any difference.
> > This is simple Ethernet networking and it was working fine in lenny.
>
> Simple ethernet networking can be "not that simple" :-)
>
> Are you using dhcp or any dial client (pppd)?
> Are you using NetworkManager?
> Can you still make local pings?
> Can you browse the web if you specify the IP address of the host?
> Ethernet card and driver?

I'm using dhcp. I don't know if I'm using networkmanager. Once the
problem starts I can only ping localhost. I can't even ping the
gateway router. My /etc/network/interfaces is as follows:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0

Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

These are definitely your friends in this kind of situation:
$ dmesg | tail -n40
$ sudo tail -n40 /var/log/syslog

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D6C0A02.2060909@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D6C0A02.2060909@cox.net

Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:31:55 +0200, George wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Simple ethernet networking can be "not that simple" :-)
>>
>> Are you using dhcp or any dial client (pppd)? Are you using
>> NetworkManager?
>> Can you still make local pings?
>> Can you browse the web if you specify the IP address of the host?
>> Ethernet card and driver?
>>

> I'm using dhcp. I don't know if I'm using networkmanager.

It is enabled by default, so if you didn't turn it off it should be up,
configured and running.

> Once the problem starts I can only ping localhost.

When it happens, run "/sbin/ifconfig" to get the current status of your
network adapter and also "ip ro" to display the available routes.

> I can't even ping the gateway router.

That can mean that you have lost all of your network card data (ip,
netmask, gateway...). The above commands will tell.

> My /etc/network/interfaces is as follows:

(...)

> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> auto eth0

Then you are using a dhcp server to get all the data for the interface.
You will have to find out why you are losing contact with your dhcp
server, which I guess is configured in the router itself, right?

As first step, you could (as root):

grep -i dhcp /var/log/syslog

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
George

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:31:55 +0200, George wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> Simple ethernet networking can be "not that simple" :-)
>>>
>>> Are you using dhcp or any dial client (pppd)? Are you using
>>> NetworkManager?
>>> Can you still make local pings?
>>> Can you browse the web if you specify the IP address of the host?
>>> Ethernet card and driver?
>>>

>> I'm using dhcp. I don't know if I'm using networkmanager.
>
> It is enabled by default, so if you didn't turn it off it should be up,
> configured and running.
>
>> Once the problem starts I can only ping localhost.
>
> When it happens, run "/sbin/ifconfig" to get the current status of your
> network adapter and also "ip ro" to display the available routes.
>
>> I can't even ping the gateway router.
>
> That can mean that you have lost all of your network card data (ip,
> netmask, gateway...). The above commands will tell.
>
>> My /etc/network/interfaces is as follows:
>
> (...)
>
>> # The primary network interface
>> allow-hotplug eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>> auto eth0
>
> Then you are using a dhcp server to get all the data for the interface.
> You will have to find out why you are losing contact with your dhcp
> server, which I guess is configured in the router itself, right?
>
> As first step, you could (as root):
>
> grep -i dhcp /var/log/syslog

Thanks to everyone that replied, however the problem seems to have
fixed itself. I don't recall doing anything special, other than doing
ifdown/ifup a bunch of times.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:36:32 +0200, George wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> As first step, you could (as root):
>>
>> grep -i dhcp /var/log/syslog
>
> Thanks to everyone that replied, however the problem seems to have fixed
> itself. I don't recall doing anything special, other than doing
> ifdown/ifup a bunch of times.

Doing that means you do still have a problem. I would investigate it
further :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-02-2011, 03:54 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

Yesterday while browsing on the machine running Squeeze, at first
things appeared to be working normally.

But suddenly, some web sites could not be loaded, and others could not
be reloaded. At first, I suspected a DSL outage, but then I
discovered that I could ping some common URLs, but not others.

I switched to the machine running Lenny, and found everything running
normally.

The problem disappeared once I rebooted the Squeeze machine.

The system is Debian i386, ADSL with dynamic ip, firmware router,
separate ethernet switch, ups.

RLH