Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Patrick Bartek

Default Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

Having tired of Fedora's short support life (13 months)--I've been using it since FC3, but have only been upgrading every 3rd release since 6--and wanting a distro where longevity and stability are paramount, and SELinux is an option, not the default, I've settled on Debian 6. However, my custom-built system is mostly 5 year old hardware, and I want to get away from today's CPU-cycle eating, eye-candy, desktop environments, the features of which are mostly wasted on me, and go with the efficiency of a pure window manager set up. That is, no GNOME, KDE, etc. installed at all. I've chosen Openbox as the window manager as it seems to offer an efficient balance between features and RAM usage.

VirtualBox tests with Debian 6 RC2 32-bit look good.

My system:

Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet
AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by design)
4GB RAM
160GB SATA HD
Pioneer DVR-112D IDE DVD/CD Writer

Any opinions, suggestions or pitfalls?

I'll dual boot keeping Fedora 12 currently on the system as a fallback.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

That's a heck of a lot like my system (except that my mobo is newer
and CPU & GPU are slower), and Sid with the XFce DE works perfectly
on it.

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D6AD363.7010006@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D6AD363.7010006@cox.net

Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 27 feb 11, 12:05:11, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> My system:
>
> Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet

Watch for firmware errors in dmesg and install the apropiate package
from non-free if needed

> AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
> EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by design)

If you need 3d performance you'll need to activate non-free and install
the package nvidia-glx

> 4GB RAM

If you go with 32bit install (i386) I would recommend the -amd64 kernel.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Sun, 2/27/11, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 02/27/2011 02:05 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > Having tired of Fedora's short support life (13
> [snip]
> >
> > My system:
> >
> > Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet
> > AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
> > EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by
> design)
> > 4GB RAM
> > 160GB SATA HD
> > Pioneer DVR-112D IDE DVD/CD Writer
> >
> > Any opinions, suggestions or pitfalls?
> >
> > [snip]
>
> That's a heck of a lot like my system (except that my mobo
> is newer
> and CPU & GPU are slower), and Sid with the XFce DE
> works perfectly
> on it.

I've got XFCE running on a Debian "Etch" install on a 10-year-old Thinkpad 240X (500MHz P3 & 192MB RAM) and it works just fine, but I've found I don't care for XFCE all that much. For a "lightweight" GUI environment, I prefer LXDE. However, I'm trying to stick with a "pure" Openbox set up for my main system, since for the most part, I don't really need all the bells and whistles of a fancy desktop or the disk space all the libraries takes up.

Thanks for the info, though.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Sun, 2/27/11, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 27 feb 11, 12:05:11, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> >
> > My system:
> >
> > Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet
>
> Watch for firmware errors in dmesg and install the
> apropiate package
> from non-free if needed

I'll keep an weather eye out.

> > AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
> > EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by
> design)
>
> If you need 3d performance you'll need to activate non-free
> and install
> the package nvidia-glx

Have no need for 3D graphics. Never use anything that requires it. But if I ever do, the card supports it and I have your recommendation.

> > 4GB RAM
>
> If you go with 32bit install (i386) I would recommend the
> -amd64 kernel.

Nope. Going 64-bit all the way. Have the CD burned and everything. All previous Fedora installs on this machine have been 64-bit. I see no reason to change. I'm aware of 64-bit pitfalls: mainly, the lack of a 64-bit Flash plugin that isn't an alpha or beta. I may just install a 32-bit browser (and proper 32-bit libraries) and use 32-bit plugins. I did this with Fedora 6 64-bit and never had any problems. I've never had good results wrapping 32-bit plugins.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 27 feb 11, 22:05:16, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Nope. Going 64-bit all the way. Have the CD burned and everything.
> All previous Fedora installs on this machine have been 64-bit. I see
> no reason to change. I'm aware of 64-bit pitfalls: mainly, the lack
> of a 64-bit Flash plugin that isn't an alpha or beta. I may just
> install a 32-bit browser (and proper 32-bit libraries) and use 32-bit
> plugins. I did this with Fedora 6 64-bit and never had any problems.
> I've never had good results wrapping 32-bit plugins.

That sounds complicated, how about this: activate non-free and

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

(works fine also on amd64)

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Klistvud

[...]

I run Squeeze with stock GNOME on a somewhat inferior machine with only
half your RAM, and it's quite snappy. I've never seen it swap to disk,
although there are 4-5 concurrent GNOME sessions open all the time, and
a squid3 server with a 9GB on-disk cache is running. Of course,
everything depends on your intended usage, but there should generally
be no pitfalls to speak of...

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 28 feb 11, 13:26:24, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> That sounds complicated, how about this: activate non-free and

Correction: flashplugin-nonfree is in contrib, not non-free

> apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>
> (works fine also on amd64)

This is correct.

Regards,