Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
""

Default need help debugging my email in squeeze and/or testing (both) not merely old squeeze from before the release

Some background information:

I have used mutt/fetchmail/exim4 for several years without much problem. I keep backup copies of /etc so I am confident that my exim4 configuration is the same as it was when
it last worked a few days ago. I have looked at the config file that is causing a problem and it is correctly formatted (i.e. not corrupted by garbage and contining information which
works in other contexts) But for reasons that are too complex to go into, I got my computer into a state where I needed to re-install Squeeze from scratch.* And ...
now exim4 is unable to send email to the SMTP server that I use. It is not something outside at my ISP because the exim4 scripts (or whatever) leave a paniclog message in
/var/log/exim4, which reads as follows:

2011-02-27 09:04:28 1Ptj6i-0004BD-8e failed to expand "<; ${if exists{/etc/exim4/passwd.client} {${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{/etc/exim4/passwd.client}{$host_address}}}{} }" while checking a list: failed to open /etc/exim4/passwd.client for linear search: Permission denied (euid=102 egid=104)
2011-02-27 10:56:51 1PtkrT-0000gF-5a failed to expand "<; ${if exists{/etc/exim4/passwd.client} {${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{/etc/exim4/passwd.client}{$host_address}}}{} }" while checking a list: failed to open /etc/exim4/passwd.client for linear search: Permission denied (euid=102 egid=104)

I look at the file, /etc/exim4/passwd.client, and it contains exactly the same bytes as it has always contained since many months ago when I first got the setup working. It contains
one line that is not a comment, and immediately above is a comment that specifies the required format. These are:

### target.mail.server.example:loginassword
smtp.everyone.netecondon@mesanetworks.net:----------- (note: my password is not actually a bunch of hyphens ;-)

(except that I haven't revealed the actual password, But I know that password is good because I am using the web connection to my ISP to write this email and I used the same
password to log on to the web mail. And anyway, the error message is about being unable to parse the content of this file, not that it is an incorrect password.)

I also tried installing the current testing (Wheezy) and found the same problem. The behavior of the reinstalled system indicate to me that although I was frequently upgrading
while squeeze was still testing, the many packages were not, in fact, being kept in sync with the repository, i.e. a persistent cryptic (hidden) problem in aptitude. But for now
I'd just like to get email working again.

I am able to receive email. The same password continues to work in the fetchmailrc. Please help.

Paul
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20110227105102.36F21DF3@resin14.mta.everyone.net> ,
pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:
><DIV style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif; font-size:10pt;"><FONT
>size="2"><SPAN style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;">Some background
[...]
>file, </SPAN></FONT><FONT size="2"><SPAN style="font-family:

I can't understand you though the HTML. Also, it is against list policy to
post HTML messages.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
kuLa

Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 PM
""

Please excuse an earlier email in HTML. I was and am still now
using the web mail system of my ISP, which I do not know, and
which has very muddled descriptions of what the various buttons
do. I think (and sincerely hope) that I have turned off the
'helpful' feature of automatic HTML.

I have used mutt/fetchmail/exim4 for several years without much
problem. I keep backup copies of /etc so I am confident that my exim4
configuration is the same as it was when it last worked a few days
ago. I have looked at the config file that is causing a problem
and it is correctly formatted (i.e. not corrupted by garbage and
containing password data that works in other contexts). But for reasons
that are too complex to go into, I got my computer into a state where
I needed to re-install Squeeze from scratch. And ...

Now exim4 is unable to send email to the SMTP server that I use. It
is not something outside at my ISP because the exim4 scripts leave a
paniclog message in /var/log/exim4, which reads as follows:

2011-02-27 09:04:28 1Ptj6i-0004BD-8e failed to expand "<; ${if
exists{/etc/exim4/passwd.client}{${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{/e
tc/exim/passwd.client{$host_address}}}{} }" while check
[...]

The paniclog message seems to indicate that there was a error parsing
single line of data, and that the password was never transmitted to the ISP

I also tried installing the current testing (Wheezy) and found the
same problem. (i.e. same error message) I'd like to get email
working again. I am able to receive email. The same password continues
to work in the fetchmailrc. Of course much has been left out, so please
ask questions. Please help.

Paul
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20110227153610.36FDBD7B@resin17.mta.everyone.net> ,
pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:
>2011-02-27 09:04:28 1Ptj6i-0004BD-8e failed to expand "<; ${if
>exists{/etc/exim4/passwd.client}{${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{/e
>tc/exim/passwd.client{$host_address}}}{} }" while check
>ing a list: failed to open /etc/exim4/passwd.client for linear
>search: Permission denied (euid=102 egid=104)
>2011-02-27 10:56:51 1PtkrT-0000gF-5a failed to expand "<; ${if
>exists{/etc/exim4/passwd.client}
>{${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{/etc/exim4/passwd.client}{$host_address}
>}}{} }" while checking a list: failed to open
>/etc/exim4/passwd.client for linear search: Permission denied
>(euid=102 egid=104)

"Permission denied". Check your permissions on /etc/exim4/passwd.client.
Make sure it is readable by the user or group that exim runs as.

If you can't figure it out, run these and post the output:
ps -ef | grep -i exim
ls -l /etc/exim4/passwd.client