Old 02-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Lisi

Default apt-setup

I am a little confused about this. I had never heard of it, so have been
looking it up. There is no man entry, and the man apt entry, which mentions
and gives hyperlinks to toher apt applications (apt-cache etc.) does nto
mention it.

Googling brings up the information that Potato users used to use it to
configure their /etc/apt/sources.list, and the installer still uses it for
the same purpose. But I could find no trace of any recent usage by users
wanting to (re)configure their sources.list. Comments gratefully received!

Lisi

Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello Lisi,

you may want to read

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html

Have fun,
Jerome

Archive: 4D6A7E2C.60603@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D6A7E2C.60603@rezozer.net

Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 27 feb 11, 16:27:49, Lisi wrote:
> I am a little confused about this. I had never heard of it, so have been
> looking it up. There is no man entry, and the man apt entry, which mentions
> and gives hyperlinks to toher apt applications (apt-cache etc.) does nto
> mention it.
>
> Googling brings up the information that Potato users used to use it to
> configure their /etc/apt/sources.list, and the installer still uses it for
> the same purpose. But I could find no trace of any recent usage by users
> wanting to (re)configure their sources.list. Comments gratefully received!

A quick Google search revealed a post of *mine* from 2007 stating it is
in the base-config package.

AFAIR base-config was the second stage of the installer for sarge (you
had to run that at the console after the first reboot, to set-up the
timezone, apt, etc.) . Etch already had a one-stage install; base-config
was merged with the first stage.

What are you trying to achieve? If you need some interface to change
sources.list try synaptic

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 27 February 2011 23:08:17 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Du, 27 feb 11, 16:27:49, Lisi wrote:
> > I am a little confused about this. I had never heard of it, so have been
> > looking it up. There is no man entry, and the man apt entry, which
> > mentions and gives hyperlinks to toher apt applications (apt-cache etc.)
> > does nto mention it.
> >
> > Googling brings up the information that Potato users used to use it to
> > configure their /etc/apt/sources.list, and the installer still uses it
> > for the same purpose. But I could find no trace of any recent usage by
> > users wanting to (re)configure their sources.list. Comments gratefully
> > received!
>
> A quick Google search revealed a post of *mine* from 2007 stating it is
> in the base-config package.
>
> AFAIR base-config was the second stage of the installer for sarge (you
> had to run that at the console after the first reboot, to set-up the
> timezone, apt, etc.) . Etch already had a one-stage install; base-config
> was merged with the first stage.

Yes, the most recent mention that I have been able to find was in a book about
Sarge - that was where I got the information about it being part of the
installer -but even that was out of date!

> What are you trying to achieve?

I am doing a course - and if I have a problem with anything I look it up.
apt-setup was in a list with apt-cache, apt-get and apt-cdrom. As I said, I
had never heard of it, so I looked it up. The rest you know. I'm afraid
that I didn't turn up your post. :-(

> If you need some interface to change
> sources.list try synaptic

Ouch!! ;-) Give me Kwrite or another good editor and sources.list itself!

Thanks, Andrei,

Lisi

Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 27 feb 11, 23:34:45, Lisi wrote:

> > If you need some interface to change
> > sources.list try synaptic
>
> Ouch!! ;-) Give me Kwrite or another good editor and sources.list itself!

Not for you personally!