Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM
shawn wilson

Default How do you remotely access a home server/network?

On Feb 27, 2011 3:23 AM, "Andrei Popescu" <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 26 feb 11, 18:11:08, Slicky Johnson wrote:

> > The reason to move away from 22 is to give yourself an added buffer of

> > security for port sweeps by the script kiddies.

> IMVHO, I disagree. Moving a service away from it's default port does not

> bring additional security, just less noise in the logs.

It would do little for security. A mere stumbling block since nmap can get the actual service type. Put it above 1024 and it might stop script kiddies but anyone wanting to know what's up will know.

The other point is, run snort and do some research before you blame 'script kiddies'. In my experience, most of the random port scans come from government, universities, and (possibly) private statistics firms. I say possibly because I couldn't be 100% sure about a few.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Brian

On Sat 26 Feb 2011 at 19:18:13 -0500, Slicky Johnson wrote:

> Jason, also have a look at the securing Debian manual with attention on
> ssh. Perhaps removing passwords all together and only using a key, no
> root, etc. From experience I will say moving your listening port from
> 22 to something else will keep your logs fairly clear. Internet facing
> machine I'm looking at right now only had 8 packets hit 22 yesterday.
> Dropped of course and not by chance from the same Chinese IP.

Well, that nicely sidestepped the question.

The noise on port 22 is of no importance. Its ability to breech sshd is
zero. It reminds me of the futile beating of moths' wings against the
outside of a window in a lighted room on a dark summer night