Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Peter Tynan

Default Debian Wiki participation..?

One of the things I've never understood about Debian is why the wiki
is so inactive when compared to other distributions, the simple fact
of life is that nine times out of ten I find the information I'm
looking for on the Arch or Gentoo wikis - not the Debian wiki. I am
now beginning to understand why, let me tell you a story...

On the Openbox page http://wiki.debian.org/Openbox I noticed some
advice that I thought was not exactly best practice

".... Add the following to the autostart.sh file in /etc/xdg/openbox."

As I understand it a user should copy these files to ~/.config/openbox
folder and edit these local files.

Being a dutiful netizen I thought I'd mention this on the discussion
page and see what other users thought. Hmmm... no discussion page but
it seems I can create one... but wait... I need to be logged in to do
that. I can understand the need to be logged in - reduce spam and all
- so off I go to register.

On the registration page quite reasonably I'm asked for my email
address HOWEVER I can find no link to any form of privacy statement
saying what will be done with my email address so being a cautious
netizen I do not register, I do not make my suggestion and I start to
understand why the Debian wiki is so relatively inactive.

Peter

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/1/users/happy

Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 26 feb 11, 23:31:56, Peter Tynan wrote:

> On the registration page quite reasonably I'm asked for my email
> address HOWEVER I can find no link to any form of privacy statement
> saying what will be done with my email address so being a cautious
> netizen I do not register, I do not make my suggestion and I start to
> understand why the Debian wiki is so relatively inactive.

IMVHO, that's a valid concern. Please open a bug against the
www.debian.org pseudo-package (severity: wishlist). I'm sure a suggested
text would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 23:31:56 +0000, Peter Tynan wrote:

> One of the things I've never understood about Debian is why the wiki is
> so inactive when compared to other distributions, the simple fact of
> life is that nine times out of ten I find the information I'm looking
> for on the Arch or Gentoo wikis - not the Debian wiki. I am now
> beginning to understand why, let me tell you a story...

(...)

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/EditorQuickStart#Account

:-)

Greetings,