Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM
PMA

Default Need to confirm re 'fstab', before rebooting my Squeeze

Hi List.

I have installed Squeeze from scratch using a USB stick.
The installer regarded that stick as "/dev/sda". So the
/etc/fstab that it installed lists my system disk (til now
always "/dev/sda") as "/dev/sdb", and similarly my 2nd
disk (til now "/dev/sdb") as "/dev/sdc".

If I now run 'mount' (with USB stick removed), it names
these devices as I had originally -- system disk '/dev/sda',
secondary '/dev/sdb'.

Meanwhile, /etc/fstab is specifying each device, not as
either of those names, but as a mile-long UUID number.

So my question: When I rebooting, can I safely assume
that, because fstab is using UUIDs and not "/dev/..."(s),
the system won't get confused?

Thanks,
Pete

Archive: 4D696263.4040907@aya.yale.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4D696263.4040907@aya.yale.edu

Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-02-26, PMA <PeterArmstrong@aya.yale.edu> wrote:
> Hi List.
>
> I have installed Squeeze from scratch using a USB stick.
> The installer regarded that stick as "/dev/sda". So the
> /etc/fstab that it installed lists my system disk (til now
> always "/dev/sda") as "/dev/sdb", and similarly my 2nd
> disk (til now "/dev/sdb") as "/dev/sdc".
>
> If I now run 'mount' (with USB stick removed), it names
> these devices as I had originally -- system disk '/dev/sda',
> secondary '/dev/sdb'.
>
> Meanwhile, /etc/fstab is specifying each device, not as
> either of those names, but as a mile-long UUID number.
>
> So my question: When I rebooting, can I safely assume
> that, because fstab is using UUIDs and not "/dev/..."(s),
> the system won't get confused?

The identification of partitions by UUIDs is normal is squeeze. The
output of the blkid command should allow you to satisfy yourself that
the mapping from UUIDs to partitions is correct.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Slicky Johnson

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:28:19 -0500
PMA <PeterArmstrong@aya.yale.edu> wrote:

> Hi List.
>
> I have installed Squeeze from scratch using a USB stick.
> The installer regarded that stick as "/dev/sda". So the
> /etc/fstab that it installed lists my system disk (til now
> always "/dev/sda") as "/dev/sdb", and similarly my 2nd
> disk (til now "/dev/sdb") as "/dev/sdc".
>
> If I now run 'mount' (with USB stick removed), it names
> these devices as I had originally -- system disk '/dev/sda',
> secondary '/dev/sdb'.
>
> Meanwhile, /etc/fstab is specifying each device, not as
> either of those names, but as a mile-long UUID number.
>
> So my question: When I rebooting, can I safely assume
> that, because fstab is using UUIDs and not "/dev/..."(s),
> the system won't get confused?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

I had an entry listing /dev/sdb1 as...

#/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Which was a known bug.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Slicky Johnson

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:04:01 -0500
Slicky Johnson <slickyjohnson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had an entry listing /dev/sdb1 as...
>
> #/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
>
> Which was a known bug.

I should have included that I commented the line out by hand to fix the
bug.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Brian

On Sat 26 Feb 2011 at 15:28:19 -0500, PMA wrote:

> So my question: When I rebooting, can I safely assume
> that, because fstab is using UUIDs and not "/dev/..."(s),
> the system won't get confused?

One possible gotcha. When GRUB was installed where was it installed to?
If it's to /dev/sda you may have a little remedial work to do! This
caught me out a couple of times when I forgot to remove the USB stick at
that stage of the install.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Slicky Johnson

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 23:21:19 +0000
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 26 Feb 2011 at 15:28:19 -0500, PMA wrote:
>
> > So my question: When I rebooting, can I safely assume
> > that, because fstab is using UUIDs and not "/dev/..."(s),
> > the system won't get confused?
>
> One possible gotcha. When GRUB was installed where was it installed
> to? If it's to /dev/sda you may have a little remedial work to do!
> This caught me out a couple of times when I forgot to remove the USB
> stick at that stage of the install.

I didn't run into that. The installer correctly identified the root
partition, MBR etc. I only was burned by the fact it listed /dev/sdb1
as a cdrom device in fstab, but /dev/sdb1 was basically behaving like
one. So when a thumb was plugged in after the install had completed, it
would fail to auto mount on my desktop as expected. Suppose a udev rule
was confused. Mounting the device to a mount point by hand worked fine.