Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
John

Default Squeeze: can Bluetooth headset work without pulseaudio???

I have used pulseaudio in the past, and it was horrible to install
and understand. But for a while, I had it working on some machine or
other, with Etch or Lenny (I think). Sinks, sources, wonderful. That
machine is long gone.

I recently installed Squeeze/KDE 4.45, and I wanted to use a bluetooth
headset. My Googling led me to believe that it CAN NOT be done
without pulseaudio. So I spent hours on getting pulseaudio working,
sometimes, except when it doesn't, and kaffeine freezes, or youtube
goes silent. If it's not working right, just reboot and it might work
differently for a few minutes. And, like all linuxers, I hate
rebooting.

I haven't even tried adding the headset yet, because pulseaudio isn't
working, not really. What I really want to do is rip out all the
pulseaudio stuff and go back to straight ALSA or whatever it was that
was working so well before.

So my FIRST QUESTION, obviously: Is there ANY way to run Bluetooth
headsets through a USB dongle, without pulseaudio, on Squeeze/KDE4. I
figure if it's impossible, then choosing between using pulseaudio and
doing the impossible, I have to go with pulseaudio, but it's a close
call.

John

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Camaleůn

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:55:42 -0500, John wrote:

> I recently installed Squeeze/KDE 4.45, and I wanted to use a bluetooth
> headset. My Googling led me to believe that it CAN NOT be done without
> pulseaudio.

(...)

I dunno where your googling led you but this blog entry seems to be
pretty explanatory of what is needed:

BlueDevil, the new KDE bluetooth stack is here
http://www.afiestas.org/bluedevil-the-new-kde-bluetooth-stack-is-here/

Reading the "dependencies" part we can see:

- PulseAudio, or a proper configured Alsa (with the bluetooth hook)

By "alsa with bluetooth hook" I suppose it refers to package "bluez-alsa"
instead its PA counterpart. Anyway, whether that combination works or not
I can't tell (using GNOME here).

Greetings,

--
Camaleůn

Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Celejar

John <nesredep@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used pulseaudio in the past, and it was horrible to install
> and understand. But for a while, I had it working on some machine or
> other, with Etch or Lenny (I think). Sinks, sources, wonderful. That
> machine is long gone.
>
> I recently installed Squeeze/KDE 4.45, and I wanted to use a bluetooth
> headset. My Googling led me to believe that it CAN NOT be done
> without pulseaudio. So I spent hours on getting pulseaudio working,
> sometimes, except when it doesn't, and kaffeine freezes, or youtube
> goes silent. If it's not working right, just reboot and it might work
> differently for a few minutes. And, like all linuxers, I hate
> rebooting.
>
> I haven't even tried adding the headset yet, because pulseaudio isn't
> working, not really. What I really want to do is rip out all the
> pulseaudio stuff and go back to straight ALSA or whatever it was that
> was working so well before.
>
> So my FIRST QUESTION, obviously: Is there ANY way to run Bluetooth
> headsets through a USB dongle, without pulseaudio, on Squeeze/KDE4. I
> figure if it's impossible, then choosing between using pulseaudio and
> doing the impossible, I have to go with pulseaudio, but it's a close
> call.

I wish I knew. I've wasted hours trying to get a bluetooth headset
working, without success. Documentation is horrible, and everything
you find is incomplete and / or outdated. Never really had the
patience to install the whole pulseaudio shebang just to do something
really simple that absolutely shouldn't require it.

Celejar

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 27. 02. 2011 22:21:05 je Celejar napisal(a):

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:55:42 -0500
John <nesredep@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used pulseaudio in the past, and it was horrible to install
> and understand. But for a while, I had it working on some machine
or
> other, with Etch or Lenny (I think). Sinks, sources, wonderful.
That

> machine is long gone.
>
> I recently installed Squeeze/KDE 4.45, and I wanted to use a
bluetooth

> headset. My Googling led me to believe that it CAN NOT be done
> without pulseaudio.

I wish I knew. I've wasted hours trying to get a bluetooth headset
working, without success. Documentation is horrible, and everything
you find is incomplete and / or outdated. Never really had the
patience to install the whole pulseaudio shebang just to do something
really simple that absolutely shouldn't require it.

Celejar

FWIW I had my bluetooth headset working under Lenny. It required no
pulse audio. Wait a minute, let me check...
OK. I copied the old Lenny ~/.asoundrc to my Squeeze home dir and it
works in Squeeze too. This is the contents of my ~/.asoundrc:

<snip>

pcm.bt_audioraw {
type bluetooth
device 00:0B:E4:38:F8:F7
profile "auto"
}
pcm.bt_audio {
type plug
slave.pcm "bt_audioraw"
hint {
show on
description "Zvońćna naprava bluetooth"
}
}

<pins>

Of course you must first pair your bluetooth headset with your machine,
which is a no-brainer with the GNOME bluetooth applet.
Once you have it paired, you should use hcitool and/or other utilities
to find out your headset's hardware address and replace the "device
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" line in your .asoundrc accordingly.
Once you have the right~/.asoundrc in place, you can easily switch
between the external speakers and the bluetooth headset by running some
script such as this:

<snip>

#!/bin/bash

state=`gconftool --get /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink |
cut -d -f1`

if [ $state == "autoaudiosink" ]; then
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink "alsasink device=bt_audio"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "alsasink device=bt_audio"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink "alsasink device=bt_audio"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/videosink "alsasink device=bt_audio"
zenity --info --title="GStreamer" --text="Zvońćni izhod preklopljen
na bluetooth sluŇ°alke."

else
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink "autoaudiosink"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "autoaudiosink"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink "autoaudiosink"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/videosink "autovideosink"
zenity --info --title="GStreamer" --text="Zvońćni izhod preklopljen
na zvońćnike."

fi

echo Audiosink preklopljen na `gconftool --get
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink`.

<pins>

The above procedure only works for gstreamer (for example, system
sounds and Totem movies will still be heard through the external
speakers). It's great for listening to Rhythmbox though.
I've left a couple of strings in my language, which is Slovenian, but
you should have no trouble adapting them to your needs. They don't
affect functionality anyway.

--
Good luck,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 28. 02. 2011 12:42:57 je Klistvud napisal(a):

> [...]

/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "autoaudiosink"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink "autoaudiosink"
gconftool --type string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/videosink "autovideosink"
zenity --info --title="GStreamer" --text="Zvońćni izhod preklopljen
na zvońćnike."

fi

echo Audiosink preklopljen na `gconftool --get
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink`.

<pins>

The above procedure only works for gstreamer (for example, system
sounds and Totem movies will still be heard through the external
speakers). It's great for listening to Rhythmbox though.
I've left a couple of strings in my language, which is Slovenian, but
you should have no trouble adapting them to your needs. They don't

Sorry if the above procedure is GNOME-specific, but it's all I have.
Perhaps it can get you started at least. Anyway, I sincerely don't
think pulseaudio is required to make a bluetooth headset work. Not even
in KDE.

--
Cheerio,

Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
John

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> [...]
>> I've left a couple of strings in my language, which is Slovenian, but you
>> should have no trouble adapting them to your needs. They don't affect
>> functionality anyway.
>>
>> --
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Klistvud ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
>> Certifiable Loonix User #481801 ¬* ¬* ¬*Please reply to the list, not to me.
>>

> Sorry if the above procedure is GNOME-specific, but it's all I have. Perhaps
> it can get you started at least. Anyway, I sincerely don't think pulseaudio
> is required to make a bluetooth headset work. Not even in KDE.
>
> --
> Cheerio,
>
> Klistvud ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
> Certifiable Loonix User #481801 ¬* ¬* ¬*Please reply to the list, not to me.

I appreciate hearing about your success. I can get the pairing, but
it is always "failed to connect"

I've spent some time trying to figure out how .asoundrc is supposed to
work. Once again, the documentation is little help, for me anyway.
Do you recall where you found the text that you entered in .asoundrc?
I found my text here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Bluetooth/Alsa

I tried each version, always get the same results.

I notice that the device code has quotes around it in the wiki
version, and not in your version. My guess is that it probably works
either way, but is all of this documented someplace?

BTW, what about that script you wrote for starting it? If I wanted to
write something for KDE, where did you find the basics and knowledge
to create that script? (Not the basic bash scripting, but the alsa
stuff)

Thanks for your input.

--
John Pedersen
registered linux user #287986, registered 2002-09-27

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Klistvud

I appreciate hearing about your success. I can get the pairing, but
it is always "failed to connect"

Hmm, that's a problem you should definitely fix first. Try to pinpoint
it. There are several routes to explore. Is there a problem with the
PIN number you're required to enter when pairing? Does pairing with
other bluetooth devices (not headsets) work? Have you tried another
bluetooth headset? Does your headset work with a phone, an mp3 player
or any other device? Are there helper bluetooth packages for KDE that
should be installed in order to make a bluetooth headset connect?

I've spent some time trying to figure out how .asoundrc is supposed to
work. Once again, the documentation is little help, for me anyway.
Do you recall where you found the text that you entered in .asoundrc?
I found my text here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Bluetooth/Alsa

I tried each version, always get the same results.

I notice that the device code has quotes around it in the wiki
version, and not in your version. My guess is that it probably works
either way, but is all of this documented someplace?

Well, it probably is, but I generally solve my Debian problems with one
part google fu, one part help from this mailing list, and eight parts
trial and error. I've stopped keeping links to howtos, wikis and such,
because when I did, I never seemed to be able to track them down when I
needed them. Besides, instructionals are a moving target anyway and may
change with a new package version without notice.

BTW, what about that script you wrote for starting it? If I wanted to
write something for KDE, where did you find the basics and knowledge
to create that script? (Not the basic bash scripting, but the alsa
stuff)

Google fu again. After a couple of years of GNOME I've also grown
accustomed to the GNOME registry, so I can sort of find my way around
it. In my script, there's probably only one line that's essential
anyway, the line that binds the gstreamer audiosink to bt_audio. I
haven't the faintest idea where you could find related info for KDE. An
additional problem might be that the KDE 4.x branch being relatively
young, there's not that much info lurking on the net as opposed to
GNOME which has been around for quite some time now.

Thanks for your input.

Don't mention it. Sorry I couldn't be of more substantial help. Maybe
you could find some pointers on the SUSE or Mandriva forums, and other
more KDE-oriented sources.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM
John

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> Dne, 28. 02. 2011 21:41:26 je John napisal(a):
>
>> I appreciate hearing about your success. *I can get the pairing, but
>> it is always "failed to connect"
>
> Hmm, that's a problem you should definitely fix first. Try to pinpoint it.
> There are several routes to explore. Is there a problem with the PIN number
> you're required to enter when pairing? Does pairing with other bluetooth
> devices (not headsets) work? Have you tried another bluetooth headset? Does
> your headset work with a phone, an mp3 player or any other device? Are there
> helper bluetooth packages for KDE that should be installed in order to make
> a bluetooth headset connect?

To answer that last bit first, I did install Blueman, which some
people claim is quite good. Previously was using BlueDevil which is
the standard for KDE.

The headset DOES work with my Nokia phone, and the Nokia phone does do
file transfers with my computer.

In any case, out of desperation, I installed gnome in my Squeeze
system. I figure if I can get bluetooth to work there, maybe I can
transfer things back to KDE. (OR, quite possibly, I may become a
Gnome fan). The interesting thing is that pulseaudio was installed by
default in the gnome package.

I'm going to take a break before I try anything else. I will report
if there's anything interesting.

John