Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Klistvud

Default setting parameters of disc /dev/sda failed .

Dne, 26. 02. 2011 12:18:21 je Camaleón napisal(a):

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:33:16 +0800, waterloo wrote:

> I delete below in /etc/hdparm.conf , it is now ok.
>
>> /dev/sda {
>> apm = 254
>> spindown_time = 60
>> dma = on
>> }

Good.

> But why did "cancelling in 'Services' config" not work ? Thanks

Maybe because the application does not run as daemon but sets the
defined

parameters when the system boots.

I looked at "/etc/default/hdparm" but there is no variable to "enable/
disable" the service so I'm afraid if you want to completely turn it
off,
you need to remove the program or just keep the default parameters
(all

settings commented "#" as you did).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Well, there *is* a hdparm script inside /etc/init.d, so it apparently
does run as a daemon of some sort. AFAIK it's configured through
/etc/hdparm.conf, but it should be at least possible to stop it via
/etc/init.d/hdparm stop ...

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:01:03 +0100, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 26. 02. 2011 12:18:21 je Camaleón napisal(a):

>> I looked at "/etc/default/hdparm" but there is no variable to "enable/
>> disable" the service so I'm afraid if you want to completely turn it
>> off,
>> you need to remove the program or just keep the default parameters (all
>> settings commented "#" as you did).
>>

> Well, there *is* a hdparm script inside /etc/init.d, so it apparently
> does run as a daemon of some sort. AFAIK it's configured through
> /etc/hdparm.conf, but it should be at least possible to stop it via
> /etc/init.d/hdparm stop ...

That's not enough. The point is how to avoid it is even launched/executed
on booting.

No, this is not a standard daemonized app/script, it is started at
runlevel "S" (single-user mode).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón