Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 AM

Default maturedebs: sightly stable unstable

Gentlemen, why not let the others get cut on the cutting edge of
Debian sid whilst we relax and wait oh, say 72 hours for the packages
we want to stabilize? Slightly stable unstable, but not too stable as
to be stale as stable.

Sure, man apt.conf mentions Max-Age, but that is only for index files
and we want Min-Age anyway. Anyway, here we go:

#!/usr/bin/perl
# maturedebs -
# Choose slightly more stable Debian unstable (sid) packages:
# Given a list of .deb URIs, one per line on STDIN,
# output the ones that are older than ARGV[0] hours:
# $0 hours < URIs
# Copyright : http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html
# By: Dan Jacobson http://jidanni.org/
# Last Modified On: Thu Feb 7 13:27:13 2008
# Update Count : 42
use strict;
use warnings FATAL => 'all';
use HTTP::Request;
use HTTP:ate;
use LWP::UserAgent;
use HTTP::Status;
my $r = HTTP::Request->new( HEAD => );
$r->header( 'If-Modified-Since', time2str( time - ( pop @ARGV ) * 60 * 60 ) );
my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;

while (<>) {
$r->uri($_);
print if ( $ua->request($r)->code == RC_NOT_MODIFIED );
}

Use it like
$ apt-get --print-uris -yy -qq dselect-upgrade|
perl -nwle "/'(.*)'/&&print $1"|maturedebs 72|xargs wget
or something etc. etc. perhaps. Just a start.
Step two is then apt-get --no-download --fix-missing etc.
Sorry. See ya. Bye.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Paul Dwerryhouse

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:48:14PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Gentlemen, why not let the others get cut on the cutting edge of
> Debian sid whilst we relax and wait oh, say 72 hours for the packages
> we want to stabilize? Slightly stable unstable, but not too stable as
> to be stale as stable.

Isn't that what testing is for?

[Not that I often find unstable to actually be unstable].

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584

Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Jochen Schulz

Paul Dwerryhouse:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:48:14PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>> Gentlemen, why not let the others get cut on the cutting edge of
>> Debian sid whilst we relax and wait oh, say 72 hours for the packages
>> we want to stabilize? Slightly stable unstable, but not too stable as
>> to be stale as stable.
>
> Isn't that what testing is for?

Yes. It's just that the rules for a package to move from unstable to
testing are quite tough. Which they should be, because every transition
to testing might be the last one for a package before the release.

The proposal is missing the most important part: what should prevent a
package from moving into the "slightly stable unstable"? This is the
really hard part and the current answer is the definition of testing.

> [Not that I often find unstable to actually be unstable].

It is, you are just not using the Debian definition of stability.

"Stable" in the Debian sense means that the archive doesn't change in
terms of version numbers, features and even (uncritical) bugs.
Therefore, sid is unstable. That just doesn't mean it crashes every day.

J.
--
I wish I could achieve a 'just stepped out of the salon' look more
often. Or at least once.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Mike Bird

On Thu February 7 2008 01:14:40 Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Yes. It's just that the rules for a package to move from unstable to
> testing are quite tough. Which they should be, because every transition
> to testing might be the last one for a package before the release.

This is particularly a problem with the linux kernel and new hardware.
The latest linux-image in Testing is 2.6.22-3 which, aside from some
bug fixes, is based on 2.6.22 which was released seven months ago.

I can understand not updating Stable but the lack of migrations to Testing
means that we have to run bleeding edge Sid 2.6.24 kernels on nine-month
old production laptops (Thinkpad T61) which have been supported by the
kernel since 2.6.23 was released four months ago. (We had been running
Sid 2.6.23 until recently but it was deleted from Sid without ever making
it into testing.)

--Mike Bird

Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Jochen Schulz

Mike Bird:

> I can understand not updating Stable but the lack of migrations to Testing
> means that we have to run bleeding edge Sid 2.6.24 kernels on nine-month
> old production laptops (Thinkpad T61) which have been supported by the
> kernel since 2.6.23 was released four months ago. (We had been running
> Sid 2.6.23 until recently but it was deleted from Sid without ever making
> it into testing.)

I agree that this is not an optimal situation, especially in business
environments. But on the other hand, building and deploying a custom
kernel is really easy when you are using Debian's tools. Things only get
ugly when newer kernels require changes in userspace, like when udev was
made more or less mandatory.

J.
--
My medicine shelf is my altar.