Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Mike Bird

Default Iceweasel problems - YouTube infiltration

On Wed February 6 2008 13:42:55 Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Everytime I try to get an internet page, either refresh
> or new link, I get the following message, and no page.
>
> Not Found
>
> The requested URL /~joyce/album/ was not found
> on this server.
> Apache Server at www.youtube.com Port 80
>
> It appears that it is really sending the request to
> YouTube. I have no idea why!

Check that Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Network / Settings
specifies a direct connection to the internet.

--Mike Bird

Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Mike Bird wrote the following on 02/06/2008 04:05 PM:
> On Wed February 6 2008 13:42:55 Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>> Everytime I try to get an internet page, either refresh
>> or new link, I get the following message, and no page.
>>
>> Not Found
>>
>> The requested URL /~joyce/album/ was not found
>> on this server.
>> Apache Server at www.youtube.com Port 80
>>
>> It appears that it is really sending the request to
>> YouTube. I have no idea why!
>
> Check that Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Network / Settings
> specifies a direct connection to the internet.
>
> --Mike Bird

Can't do that. I don't have a direct connection, I have
a proxy. It has worked flawlessly for oh ... 10 years,
and still does.

Other systems, Windows 2k, on the network don't have
that problem, and neither do Opera or Konq on this machine.

Tnx,
Dennis

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Mike Bird

On Wed February 6 2008 14:27:52 Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Mike Bird wrote the following on 02/06/2008 04:05 PM:
> > Check that Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Network / Settings
> > specifies a direct connection to the internet.

> Can't do that. I don't have a direct connection, I have
> a proxy. It has worked flawlessly for oh ... 10 years,
> and still does.

In that case, check that the proxy setting is correct.

--Mike Bird

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Mihira Fernando

Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

Well, just ran into a another frequent problem.

I just re-booted and restarted Iceweasel. (22 windows,
I don't know how many tabs.) I had a bad feeling as
soon as I saw that all the favicons were YouTube.
There you go. As others reported before, Flash doesn't play nicely on
Iceweasel. 22 youtube windows will certainly crash Iceweasel.
This is a behavior I have noticed on Iceweasel as well. Load flash
intensive pages or lots of pages that has flash components in Iceweasel
and the weasel looses its cool and crashes. Sometimes it just freezes
other times it terminates on its own.
However upon restarting Iceweasel it asks to restore the crashed session
or start a new session. If you don't get that prompt, then your
configuration has deviated from the default.

Everytime I try to get an internet page, either refresh
or new link, I get the following message, and no page.

Not Found

The requested URL /~joyce/album/ was not found
on this server.
Apache Server at www.youtube.com Port 80

It appears that it is really sending the request to
YouTube. I have no idea why!

Youtube is using flash. That's the reason.

Thanks for any help!

Dennis

Mihira.

--
"Not many people know when love really starts...
More than a friend, but not quite lovers.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Ron Johnson wrote the following on 02/07/2008 06:53 AM:
> On 02/06/08 16:27, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>> Mike Bird wrote the following on 02/06/2008 04:05 PM:

>>> Check that Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Network / Settings
>>> specifies a direct connection to the internet.
>>>
>>> --Mike Bird
>>>

>> Can't do that. I don't have a direct connection, I have
>> a proxy. It has worked flawlessly for oh ... 10 years,
>> and still does.
>
>> Other systems, Windows 2k, on the network don't have
>> that problem, and neither do Opera or Konq on this machine.
>
> The Flashblock plugin might help you.
>
> Also, is this amd64?

Ron,

Thanks for the tip. I just installed Flashblock, so we
will see what happens.

No, this isn't AMD64, P4 with lots of memory and paging
area.

Tnx!
Dennis

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Mihira Fernando wrote the following on 02/07/2008 04:13 AM:
> Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Well, just ran into a another frequent problem.
>>
>> I just re-booted and restarted Iceweasel. (22 windows,
>> I don't know how many tabs.) I had a bad feeling as
>> soon as I saw that all the favicons were YouTube.
> There you go. As others reported before, Flash doesn't play nicely on
> Iceweasel. 22 youtube windows will certainly crash Iceweasel.
> This is a behavior I have noticed on Iceweasel as well. Load flash
> intensive pages or lots of pages that has flash components in Iceweasel
> and the weasel looses its cool and crashes. Sometimes it just freezes
> other times it terminates on its own.
> However upon restarting Iceweasel it asks to restore the crashed session
> or start a new session. If you don't get that prompt, then your
> configuration has deviated from the default.
>

>> Everytime I try to get an internet page, either refresh
>> or new link, I get the following message, and no page.
>>
>> Not Found
>>
>> The requested URL /~joyce/album/ was not found
>> on this server.
>> Apache Server at www.youtube.com Port 80
>>
>> It appears that it is really sending the request to
>> YouTube. I have no idea why!
> Youtube is using flash. That's the reason.
>

>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> Dennis
>
> Mihira.

Mihira,

Slight misunderstanding. None of these pages had a
youtube URL or contained any flash "stuff" in it.

Iceweasel just all of a sudden starts sending all
requests to Youtube. It also occasionally sends them to
Redhat, but not as often.

The little Youtube favicon will show up in the tabs
when this is happening, doesn't make any difference
what the actual page is!

I have installed Flash Block and Block Site so I will
see what effect they have.

Tnx!
Dennis

Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Ron Johnson

On 02/07/08 08:14, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Mihira Fernando wrote the following on 02/07/2008 04:13 AM:
>> Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> Well, just ran into a another frequent problem.
>>>
>>> I just re-booted and restarted Iceweasel. (22 windows,
>>> I don't know how many tabs.) I had a bad feeling as
>>> soon as I saw that all the favicons were YouTube.
>> There you go. As others reported before, Flash doesn't play nicely on
>> Iceweasel. 22 youtube windows will certainly crash Iceweasel.
>> This is a behavior I have noticed on Iceweasel as well. Load flash
>> intensive pages or lots of pages that has flash components in Iceweasel
>> and the weasel looses its cool and crashes. Sometimes it just freezes
>> other times it terminates on its own.
>> However upon restarting Iceweasel it asks to restore the crashed session
>> or start a new session. If you don't get that prompt, then your
>> configuration has deviated from the default.
>>
>>> Everytime I try to get an internet page, either refresh
>>> or new link, I get the following message, and no page.
>>>
>>> Not Found
>>>
>>> The requested URL /~joyce/album/ was not found
>>> on this server.
>>> Apache Server at www.youtube.com Port 80
>>>
>>> It appears that it is really sending the request to
>>> YouTube. I have no idea why!
>> Youtube is using flash. That's the reason.
>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>>
>>> Dennis
>> Mihira.
>>

> Mihira,
>
> Slight misunderstanding. None of these pages had a
> youtube URL or contained any flash "stuff" in it.
>
> Iceweasel just all of a sudden starts sending all
> requests to Youtube. It also occasionally sends them to
> Redhat, but not as often.
>
> The little Youtube favicon will show up in the tabs
> when this is happening, doesn't make any difference
> what the actual page is!
>
> I have installed Flash Block and Block Site so I will
> see what effect they have.

Adblock Plus should also be a "mandatory" add-on.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals