FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

Well, this is the third of the most aggravating problems.

Iceweasel will just "go to sleep". I have clicked on a
link or pasted a url in the address bar and it is doing
nothing. It displays "STOPPED" in the status bar and
will not load any pages, either i'net or local network.

The system monitor and "top" don't show that there is
anything in particular going on and other apps have a
good, quick response.

Time cures the problem. Generally after "a while"
something breaks loose and it sort of catches up and
things work.

I have the cache disabled. It doesn't seem to make any
difference one way or the other.

Thanks for any help.

Dennis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Angus Auld
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

--- "Dennis G. Wicks" <wix@eskimo.com> wrote:

> Well, this is the third of the most aggravating
> problems.
>
> Iceweasel will just "go to sleep". I have clicked on
> a
> link or pasted a url in the address bar and it is
> doing
> nothing. It displays "STOPPED" in the status bar and
> will not load any pages, either i'net or local
> network.
>
> The system monitor and "top" don't show that there
> is
> anything in particular going on and other apps have
> a
> good, quick response.
>
> Time cures the problem. Generally after "a while"
> something breaks loose and it sort of catches up and
> things work.
>
> I have the cache disabled. It doesn't seem to make
> any
> difference one way or the other.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Dennis
This may not be too helpful, but I have noted similar
behaviour, and not only with Iceweasel, but sometimes
Opera will do a "frozen" thing once in a while too.
It seems to be flash related, I think. When they
decide to take a rest, as it were, seems invariably on
a page that is flash intensive. Flash doesn't seem to
want to play fair with Linux, for some reason. I also
notice that flash videos or animations seem to consume
a lot of cpu cycles, with Iceweasel or Opera.

This can be a real pain, because a lot of websites are
very flash intensive nowadays.

Starting your browser with "-- debug plugins" enabled
could be enlightening here. I'm unsure how to do that
with Iceweasel, but with Opera an "opera -- debug
plugins" should do it. If I can remember to start my
browser thusly, I will report back further if I note
anything on this rendom "freeze".

Regards.

-- Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
-- Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########


__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Robin
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

On 06/02/2008, Dennis G. Wicks <wix@eskimo.com> wrote:
Well, this is the third of the most aggravating problems.

Iceweasel will just "go to sleep". I have clicked on a
link or pasted a url in the address bar and it is doing
nothing. It displays "STOPPED" in the status bar and

will not load any pages, either i'net or local network.

The system monitor and "top" don't show that there is
anything in particular going on and other apps have a
good, quick response.


Time cures the problem. Generally after "a while"
something breaks loose and it sort of catches up and
things work.

I have the cache disabled. It doesn't seem to make any
difference one way or the other.


Thanks for any help.

Dennis


Same thing here occasionally. Seems related to Flash sites and nspluginwrapper. Killing nspluginwrapper cures the problem for me.

--
rob



http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1
 
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/06/08 15:06, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Well, this is the third of the most aggravating problems.
>
> Iceweasel will just "go to sleep". I have clicked on a
> link or pasted a url in the address bar and it is doing
> nothing. It displays "STOPPED" in the status bar and
> will not load any pages, either i'net or local network.
>
> The system monitor and "top" don't show that there is
> anything in particular going on and other apps have a
> good, quick response.
>
> Time cures the problem. Generally after "a while"
> something breaks loose and it sort of catches up and
> things work.
>
> I have the cache disabled. It doesn't seem to make any
> difference one way or the other.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Seems to me that this is a network or DNS issue, not an Iceweasel
problem.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHqv5lS9HxQb37XmcRArmpAJ4utLrc9aSkdgBVFBWrtj 1je7d29ACfa7LF
4KWgdyWj8/dmb8tPhk51N8c=
=7jMz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

Ron Johnson wrote the following on 02/07/2008 06:49 AM:
> On 02/06/08 15:06, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>> Well, this is the third of the most aggravating problems.
>
>> Iceweasel will just "go to sleep". I have clicked on a
>> link or pasted a url in the address bar and it is doing
>> nothing. It displays "STOPPED" in the status bar and
>> will not load any pages, either i'net or local network.
>
>> The system monitor and "top" don't show that there is
>> anything in particular going on and other apps have a
>> good, quick response.
>
>> Time cures the problem. Generally after "a while"
>> something breaks loose and it sort of catches up and
>> things work.
>
>> I have the cache disabled. It doesn't seem to make any
>> difference one way or the other.
>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> Seems to me that this is a network or DNS issue, not an Iceweasel
> problem.
>
Ron,

You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you?

But it is only Iceweasel,on this machine, that has
these problems. Not Opera or Konq on this system or any
browser on any other system on my localnet.

Of course everything else on the my net that does any
browsing is Win 2k. The other two Debian systems are a
web server and and a backup/archive system.

Any other browsers I can try on Debian?

Tnx,
Dennis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/07/08 08:00, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote the following on 02/07/2008 06:49 AM:
>> On 02/06/08 15:06, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>>> Well, this is the third of the most aggravating problems.
>>> Iceweasel will just "go to sleep". I have clicked on a
>>> link or pasted a url in the address bar and it is doing
>>> nothing. It displays "STOPPED" in the status bar and
>>> will not load any pages, either i'net or local network.
>>> The system monitor and "top" don't show that there is
>>> anything in particular going on and other apps have a
>>> good, quick response.
>>> Time cures the problem. Generally after "a while"
>>> something breaks loose and it sort of catches up and
>>> things work.
>>> I have the cache disabled. It doesn't seem to make any
>>> difference one way or the other.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>> Seems to me that this is a network or DNS issue, not an Iceweasel
>> problem.
>>
> Ron,
>
> You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you?
>
> But it is only Iceweasel,on this machine, that has
> these problems. Not Opera or Konq on this system or any
> browser on any other system on my localnet.
>
> Of course everything else on the my net that does any
> browsing is Win 2k. The other two Debian systems are a
> web server and and a backup/archive system.
>
> Any other browsers I can try on Debian?

link2, lynx, w3c, chimera2, epiphany, galeon, iceape, midori,
netsurf & konqueror.

And I'm sure I missed some.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHqxTrS9HxQb37XmcRAnqZAKDOFfh9oDXg90ntyOgtvb z6O6sa0gCg0g9D
JfKTFReQTZJik/flGMG84/E=
=7xP3
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Celejar
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:25:47 -0600
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 02/07/08 08:00, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

[snip]

> > But it is only Iceweasel,on this machine, that has
> > these problems. Not Opera or Konq on this system or any
> > browser on any other system on my localnet.
> >
> > Of course everything else on the my net that does any
> > browsing is Win 2k. The other two Debian systems are a
> > web server and and a backup/archive system.
> >
> > Any other browsers I can try on Debian?
>
> link2, lynx, w3c, chimera2, epiphany, galeon, iceape, midori,
> netsurf & konqueror.
>
> And I'm sure I missed some.

s/w3c/w3m/

links, amaya, dillo, edbrowse, kazehakase

> Ron Johnson, Jr.

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 02/08/08 13:17, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:25:47 -0600
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> On 02/07/08 08:00, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> But it is only Iceweasel,on this machine, that has
>>> these problems. Not Opera or Konq on this system or any
>>> browser on any other system on my localnet.
>>>
>>> Of course everything else on the my net that does any
>>> browsing is Win 2k. The other two Debian systems are a
>>> web server and and a backup/archive system.
>>>
>>> Any other browsers I can try on Debian?
>> link2, lynx, w3c, chimera2, epiphany, galeon, iceape, midori,
>> netsurf & konqueror.
>>
>> And I'm sure I missed some.
>
> s/w3c/w3m/

Oops...

> links, amaya, dillo, edbrowse, kazehakase

/links/ is obsoleted by /links2/. Thanks for the other ones. I
didn't realize, though, that amaya & dillo were still maintained.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHrLRiS9HxQb37XmcRAosjAKDKUkFs2m3ujfUbhXb/RrZLlM85WACeLmc0
RzIYLY6x6Tly6uG+aJH7pPw=
=Pj1r
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Celejar
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:58:27 -0600
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

[snip]

> /links/ is obsoleted by /links2/. Thanks for the other ones. I
> didn't realize, though, that amaya & dillo were still maintained.

Mikulas (the original links dev) doesn't seem to think so; he's
apparently still working on both versions [0]. The most recent entries
from the links changelog [1]:

> === RELEASE 1.00 ===
>
> Fri Dec 28 05:29:50 MET 2007 mikulas:
>
> Support few more keycodes on ANSI terminal (PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN and few
> F* keys)
>
> Wed Dec 26 03:42:29 cet 2007 mikulas:
>
> Disable smb:// URLs on OS/2, fork+threads can cause crashes in EMX
> Besides, there's no usable smb client program anyway
>
> === RELEASE 1.00pre23 ===
>
> Mon Dec 24 22:12:00 MET 2007 mikulas (sponsored by Dondor Ltd.):
>
> A .nsi file to make Windows installer with Nullsoft scriptable install
>
> Mon Dec 24 01:44:52 MET 2007 mikulas:
>
> Fixed a bug that strings with spaces could not be passed from command
> lineth>

[0] there's a mikulas listed at
http://links.twibright.com/development.php, who seems to be the
original links dev
[1] http://www.jikos.cz/~mikulas/links//download/ChangeLog

> Ron Johnson, Jr.

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Miles Bader
 
Default Iceweasel problems - 3 of 3

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> /links/ is obsoleted by /links2/.

The ecosystem of "links" derivatives kind of complicated....

Here's a page that explains some things; don't know how up-to-date (or
accurate) it is:

http://elinks.cz/history.html

-Miles

--
97% of everything is grunge


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org