Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Default Iceweasel problems - 2 of 3

When I restart Iceweasel it reopens all the windows and
tabs as designed with one not-so-small problem. It
opens *every* window or tab that was ever opened
before, nopt just the ones that were open when it
crashed or was shutdown. It doesn't seem to know or
care that those particular items were closed by either
clicking the "X"s or any of the other means, not just
minimized.

Any ideas on this one?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Davide Mancusi

Dennis G. Wicks ha scritto:

When I restart Iceweasel it reopens all the windows and
tabs as designed with one not-so-small problem. It
opens *every* window or tab that was ever opened
before, nopt just the ones that were open when it
crashed or was shutdown. It doesn't seem to know or
care that those particular items were closed by either
clicking the "X"s or any of the other means, not just
minimized.

Any ideas on this one?

Have you tried to move your .mozilla directory out of the way and to
restart with a fresh profile? Maybe some extension or some setting are
causing problems...

HTH,
Davide

--
A tautology is a thing which is tautological.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Davide Mancusi wrote the following on 02/06/2008 03:28 PM:
> Dennis G. Wicks ha scritto:
>> When I restart Iceweasel it reopens all the windows and
>> tabs as designed with one not-so-small problem. It
>> opens *every* window or tab that was ever opened
>> before, nopt just the ones that were open when it
>> crashed or was shutdown. It doesn't seem to know or
>> care that those particular items were closed by either
>> clicking the "X"s or any of the other means, not just
>> minimized.
>>
>> Any ideas on this one?
>
> Have you tried to move your .mozilla directory out of the way and to
> restart with a fresh profile? Maybe some extension or some setting are
> causing problems...
>
> HTH,
> Davide

Davide,

OK, that seems to solve that problem but creates three
more.

What files do I have to copy to the new .mozilla to get
my bookmarks, userid/passwords, and extension/plugins back?

Thanks!
Dennis

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Davide Mancusi

Dennis G. Wicks ha scritto:

When I restart Iceweasel it reopens all the windows and
tabs as designed with one not-so-small problem. It
opens *every* window or tab that was ever opened
before, nopt just the ones that were open when it
crashed or was shutdown. It doesn't seem to know or
care that those particular items were closed by either
clicking the "X"s or any of the other means, not just
minimized.

Have you tried to move your .mozilla directory out of the way and to
restart with a fresh profile? Maybe some extension or some setting are
causing problems...

OK, that seems to solve that problem but creates three
more.

What files do I have to copy to the new .mozilla to get
my bookmarks, userid/passwords, and extension/plugins back?

Bookmarks are in a file called, guess what, bookmarks.html. Very
original. As for the rest, I am not sure about userid and passwords, and
I suspect your broken behaviour is actually caused by some faulty
extensions. It is probably easier to move back the .mozilla directory
and start iceweasel from a terminal with

$ iceweasel -safe-mode

This will disable all extensions. If the problem does not occur, start
iceweasel in normal mode, disable all the extensions by hand and
re-enable them one at a time until you find the culprit.

Davide

Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
David Brodbeck

Have you tried to move your .mozilla directory out of the way
and to
restart with a fresh profile? Maybe some extension or some setting
are

causing problems...

K, that seems to solve that problem but creates three

more.

What files do I have to copy to the new .mozilla to get
my bookmarks, userid/passwords, and extension/plugins back?

Your bookmarks are in bookmarks.html. Don't know about the rest, but
every file you copy back probably increases the chances you'll just
recreate the same problem.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Ron Johnson wrote the following on 02/07/2008 06:33 AM:
> On 02/06/08 15:00, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>> When I restart Iceweasel it reopens all the windows and
>> tabs as designed with one not-so-small problem. It
>> opens *every* window or tab that was ever opened
>> before, nopt just the ones that were open when it
>> crashed or was shutdown. It doesn't seem to know or
>> care that those particular items were closed by either
>> clicking the "X"s or any of the other means, not just
>> minimized.
>
>> Any ideas on this one?
>
> What version of Iceweasel and branch of Debian are you running?
> (Maybe you mentioned it earlier, but I don't remember.)
>
> I ask that because I've never experienced any symptoms like what you
> describe.

Ron,

I am running etch and Iceweasel 2.0.0.10 and I just
finished doing an aptitude upgrade, which didn't seem
to affect these problems one way or the other.

Tnx,
Dennis

Old 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Steve Kleene

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:00:41 -0600, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

> When I restart Iceweasel it reopens all the windows and tabs as designed
> with one not-so-small problem. It opens *every* window or tab that was ever
> opened before, nopt just the ones that were open when it crashed or was
> shutdown.

If it's any consolation, I had this problem once too. I don't anymore.

It happened after I switched from Red Hat (with mozilla) to Debian (with
firefox aka iceweasel). After the system upgrade, I moved my whole personal
directory back. So when I first started iceweasel, it found my browser
config files (bookmarks.html, prefs.js, etc.) and used them. Very nice so
far.

Whenever it crashed though, I could bring it up with "Restore Session". At
that point it restored all kinds of things I never wanted to see again, like
the trailer for "Madagascar". It turned out that I had two complete config
directories, namely

~/.mozilla/steve/d7e4twb8.slt
~/.mozilla/firefox/aqhypo0m.default

The first was the one I had copied from old mozilla; the second was put in by
iceweasel. The unwanted history was in history.dat in the old directory. To
my surprise, iceweasel checked the old history every time it started (as
determined with "ls -lu"). But if I nulled out the history from the
iceweasel window, it failed to null out the old history. I deleted the
entire old config directory, and that solved the problem.

So do something like this:

find ~/.mozilla -name history.dat

to see if you have two of them.

I do, like you, still have several problems with Iceweasel:

1. It does crash fairly often.
2. It does some but not nearly all flash sites. I have libflash-mozplugin
installed but not flashplugin-nonfree. As far as I can tell, they're both
Flash 9. I figure the sites that don't work are Flash 10, which isn't
available for Linux at all.
3. I seems impossible to arrange for an iceweasel window to start up at a
specified position on my desktop (fvwm). I posted a question about this
here once.
4. Keyboard shortcuts die if I pass the cursor over certain ads (especially
at nytimes.com); I think they're javascript. To get the shortcuts back, I
can move the cursor out of the iceweasel window and the bring it back,
taking care not to pass over the offending ad. I use the keyboard to
scroll (down arrow) and move back a page (ALT-leftarrow).
5. The HOME key still gets me to the top of a page, but it doesn't go to the
top left. It used to.

By the way, the profile folder name ("aqhypo0m.default") appears to be some
sort of unique identifier. Is it broadcast, and can it be used to identify
my machine? Why is such a goofy directory name used at all?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Brian McKee

Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Steve Kleene

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:11:32 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:

> As far as I know there is no such thing as Flash 10

Thanks; I stand corrected. I remembered that there was a version that didn't
reach Linux for a long time, but it was v9.

At the moment I have libflash-mozplugin 0.4.13-8, and I don't see anywhere
what versions of Flash it works with. Judging by its own version number,
flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.115.0.1 is probably up to date. I might be better
off with that. I wonder if it conflicts with libflash-mozplugin. The
package description doesn't mention a conflict.