Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default Iceweasel problems - 2 of 3

Steve Kleene:

> 4. Keyboard shortcuts die if I pass the cursor over certain ads (especially
> at nytimes.com); I think they're javascript. To get the shortcuts back, I
> can move the cursor out of the iceweasel window and the bring it back,
> taking care not to pass over the offending ad. I use the keyboard to
> scroll (down arrow) and move back a page (ALT-leftarrow).

This is caused by flash content and other things that are handled by a
plugin and it also affects scrolling using the mouse wheel. Very
annoying, yes.

> By the way, the profile folder name ("aqhypo0m.default") appears to be some
> sort of unique identifier. Is it broadcast, and can it be used to identify
> my machine? Why is such a goofy directory name used at all?

It is not broadcasted and I think it is some sort of quirky security
measure. The intention is to make the profile folder's name hard or
impossible to guess.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:37:52PM -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
> 3. I seems impossible to arrange for an iceweasel window to start up at a
> specified position on my desktop (fvwm). I posted a question about this
> here once.

That would be an fvwm issue, not a Debian one. Search the fvwm mailing
list/google for transient window placement.

--
Chris.
======

Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Steve Kleene

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:37:52PM -0500, I wrote:
> 3. I seems impossible to arrange for an iceweasel window to start up at a
> specified position on my desktop (fvwm). I posted a question about this
> here once.

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:43:08 +1300 Chris Bannister replied:

> That would be an fvwm issue, not a Debian one. Search the fvwm mailing
> list/google for transient window placement.

Thanks; that might be worth a shot.

In the past, though, I remember that I could get Netscape to come up at a
site defined in ~/.Xresources (with Red Hat and fvwm). That did not work
with mozilla, so I had concluded it was a problem with mozilla. But I
haven't reinvestigated in awhile.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:32 AM
John

On (09/02/08 12:43), Chris Bannister wrote:
| On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:37:52PM -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
| > 3. I seems impossible to arrange for an iceweasel window to start up at a
| > specified position on my desktop (fvwm). I posted a question about this
| > here once.
|
| That would be an fvwm issue, not a Debian one. Search the fvwm mailing
| list/google for transient window placement.

If you want fvwm to open something at a definite location, specify the
location in ~/.fvwm2rc. Here's the extract from mine; it opens a
small window next to the pager at the bottom right of my screen in
which is shown what goes on in syslog. Concentrate on the four numbers.

# that is to say, the four numbers specify size and location: ewxns+EW+NS
+ "I" Exec Eterm -x --bold-font fixed --no-cursor -g 57x5+947+974 --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 -e sudo grc tail -n 16 -f /var/log/syslog &

(All of that should be on one line, of course.)

You may just have to fiddle around to adapt size and location to your
screen, of course.

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05

Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Steve Kleene

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:32:16 -0500, JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com replied:

> If you want fvwm to open something at a definite location, specify the
> location in ~/.fvwm2rc. Here's the extract from mine
> + "I" Exec Eterm -x --bold-font fixed --no-cursor -g 57x5+947+974 --scrollbar 0
> --buttonbar 0 -e sudo grc tail -n 16 -f /var/log/syslog &

I do this in .fvwm2rc for various xterms. I believe this depends on the fact
that xterm and Eterm honor their geometry arguments from a command line. In
my experience, though, firefox (iceweasel) does not. Where the window comes
up, and what size it is, has no relation to any "-g" or "-geometry" arguments
I try. Neither its man page nor "firefox --help" indicates such an argument.
It's odd that giving it such an argument has no effect but also gives no
error message.

Firefox does claim to accept "-height" and "-width" but again, I actually get
800x980 no matter what arguments I give. And even those wouldn't allow
specification of window placement.

With old Netscape, having this in ~/.Xresources

Netscape.Navigator.geometry: 800x977+773+87

and calling xrdb worked. But it does not with firefox.

I brought this up as a question in a thread "size and position of iceweasel
window" last year. There seemed to be general agreement that firefox ignores
geometry requests.