Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default Motherboard suggestions?

Michael S. Peek:

> Can anyone suggest a motherboard w/ support for quad-core CPUs and
> gigabit ethernet? Video and sound don't matter (they'll be headless).
> Multiple CPUs and multiple ethernet welcome.

I am running Debian AMD64 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. It supports the
latest 45nm Core2Duo CPUs (dual and quad) and has gigabit ethernet from
Realtek. I needed the installer from <http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/> for
SATA support (and for ethernet, I think), but otherwise it works
flawlessly. I didn't try installing from or to an IDE drive which might
be a problem, but I don't know.

The only quirk was that you have to use the module option
model=6stack-digout for snd-hda-intel in order to hear sound. There's no
graphic chip on the board so you'd have to get a separate one.

J.
--
A passionate argument means more to me than a blockbuster movie.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 PM
"Michael S. Peek"

Neil Watson wrote:

Tyan

Any Tyan motherboard?
Are there any gotcha's that I would need to know about getting debian
installed (special driver needs, kernel command line options, that sort
of thing)?

I've found both duel- and quad-CPU boards by Tyan that look very nice...

Michael

Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
"Michael S. Peek"

Jochen Schulz wrote:

I am running Debian AMD64 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P.

Thanks, I'll check into that. I don't really care about the sound, as
it'll be a headless machine running in a server room. CPU power and
gigabit ethernet is what I really care about.

Michael