Old 02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Giancarlo Bruno

Default hitachi hd

I am trying to install debian Etch on a new PC (with no other OS
installed)

I get a message saying that "no disk drive was detected"

The BIOS screen says HD is a SATA drive HITACHI HDP 725040GLA with
400GB. Any hint to help me with this issue?

thanks a lot

Giancarlo

Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Jochen Schulz

Giancarlo Bruno:

> I am trying to install debian Etch on a new PC (with no other OS
> installed)
>
> I get a message saying that "no disk drive was detected"
>
> The BIOS screen says HD is a SATA drive HITACHI HDP 725040GLA with
> 400GB. Any hint to help me with this issue?

Probably your SATA controller isn't supported by the kernel in the
official etch installer.

Recently, I was in the same situation and used an installer with a newer
kernel from <http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/>. That one worked just fine.
Another option might be to switch the controller to AHCI mode in the
BIOS, if it has such an option. I think has been supported earlier than
some specific chipsets.

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Giancarlo Bruno

On 20:13 Wed 06 Feb , Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Giancarlo Bruno:
> >
> > I am trying to install debian Etch on a new PC (with no other OS
> > installed)
> >
> > I get a message saying that "no disk drive was detected"
> >
> > The BIOS screen says HD is a SATA drive HITACHI HDP 725040GLA with
> > 400GB. Any hint to help me with this issue?
>
> Probably your SATA controller isn't supported by the kernel in the
> official etch installer.
>
> Recently, I was in the same situation and used an installer with a newer
> kernel from <http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/>. That one worked just fine.

it works! thank you very much