Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Florian Weimer

Default Unattended installation of KVM virtual machines

I would like to automate the process of setting up KVM virtual
machines (containing lenny and squeeze images). The straightforward
doesn't work because the installer does not seem to support a serial
console, and automating VNC is a bit difficult.

A debootstrap variant which results in a bootable hard disk image
would work, too.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM
T o n g

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 18:20:45 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> I would like to automate the process of setting up KVM virtual machines
> (containing lenny and squeeze images). The straightforward doesn't work
> because the installer does not seem to support a serial console, and
> automating VNC is a bit difficult.

Hi, I hope you find a good solution.

If all else failed, you can give grml a try. Take a look at grml2hd (or
debian2hd if you'd rather), at
http://git.grml.org/?p=grml-live.git;a=blob_plain;f=templates/GRML/grml-
cheatcodes.txt;hb=HEAD

also, make sure to check out http://grml.org/grml2hd/ entirely before you
proceed.

Once again, "do *NOT* use the grml2hd and/or debian2hd bootoption if you
do not know what you are doing!"

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Florian Weimer

* T. o. n. g.:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 18:20:45 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I would like to automate the process of setting up KVM virtual machines
>> (containing lenny and squeeze images). The straightforward doesn't work
>> because the installer does not seem to support a serial console, and
>> automating VNC is a bit difficult.
>
> Hi, I hope you find a good solution.

It seems that AMD's Tapper might be useful for this purpose:

<http://developer.amd.com/zones/opensource/AMDTapper/Pages/default.aspx>

Has anybody given it a try?