Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default X & interesting problem

On Thursday 24 January 2008 12:00, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> > Number one : I'm using Debian lenny repository. My desktop is gnome &
> > my desktop manager is gdm. When i don't X server, it means i work
> > with just console, i can switch to other consoles(with
> > CTRL+ALT+F1...F7) But when i start gdm it means my X is up, i can't
> > switch to other consoles.
>
> By default [1] things work like this:
>
> * If you are on X you can switch to say tty1 by pressing "CTRL+ALT+F1".
> * If you are on tty1 you can switch to tty2 by pressing "ALT+F2".
> * If you are on tty2 you can switch back to X by pressing "ALT+F7".
>
> I am stating this because your description was not clear enough for me. So,
> doesn't it work like this on your computer?

Not on mine: CTRL-ALt Fx switches to Fx console regardeless from where you
start.
Thierry

Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM
"s. keeling"

Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr>:
> On Thursday 24 January 2008 12:00, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> > > Number one : I'm using Debian lenny repository. My desktop is gnome &
> > > my desktop manager is gdm. When i don't X server, it means i work
> > > with just console, i can switch to other consoles(with
> > > CTRL+ALT+F1...F7) But when i start gdm it means my X is up, i can't
> > > switch to other consoles.
> >
> > By default [1] things work like this:
> >
> > * If you are on X you can switch to say tty1 by pressing "CTRL+ALT+F1".
> > * If you are on tty1 you can switch to tty2 by pressing "ALT+F2".
> > * If you are on tty2 you can switch back to X by pressing "ALT+F7".
> >
> > I am stating this because your description was not clear enough for me. So,
> > doesn't it work like this on your computer?
>
> Not on mine: CTRL-ALt Fx switches to Fx console regardeless from where you
> start.

>From X:

CTRL-ALT-F1

takes you to console. From there:

ALT-F7

takes you back to X. Yes?

At console, you can cycle through consoles with ALT-Fx, F7 == X. Yes?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:04 AM
dick thompson

I am not on Debian now - right now I am on Ubuntu and that is exactly
how it works for me - just tried it so see what would happen.