Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Miles Bader

Default vim + LaTeX

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> Struggling to keep up with your typing? Slow page reformatting as
> you scroll?

I've tried abiword many times over the years (mostly because it does
seem so much more svelte and pretty than OO), but I always seem to end
up going back to ooword....

Usually abiword seems great at first, but then I slowly notice more and
more weird behavior (typically wacky formatting of something that should
be straightforward), and eventually it gets to the point where I
uninstall it. ooword is horribly bloated, ugly, and has quirks of its
own, but so far it's always seemed to be more reliable and consistent
than abiword (and it seems to support more of the weird crap people send
you...).

It's a shame, really, as abiword is a really nice _idea_...

-Miles

--
Quack, n. A murderer without a license.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Miles Bader

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:
> Why has no one in this thread mentioned Lyx? I've just used it to
> produce two books for Lulu and have found it good for that purpose.

Last time I tried Lyx it crashed every 5 minutes even with fairly simple
documents...

"Texmacs" is kind of interesting though.

[Though, to be honest, I really end up using latex most of the time
anyway; I only use ooword for documents other people send me...]

-Miles

--
Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own
opinion.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 06 Feb 2008, Miles Bader wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:
> > Why has no one in this thread mentioned Lyx? I've just used it to
> > produce two books for Lulu and have found it good for that purpose.
>
> Last time I tried Lyx it crashed every 5 minutes even with fairly simple
> documents...
>
> "Texmacs" is kind of interesting though.
>
> [Though, to be honest, I really end up using latex most of the time
> anyway; I only use ooword for documents other people send me...]
>
> -Miles

It hasn't crashed on me once in the writing of two books. I've always
used plain latex in the past and still do for many purposes, but Lyx
made matters easier for the books. I'll have a look at texmacs.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian