Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
"Steve Lamb"

Default vim + LaTeX (Was: What am I missing without mutt?)

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Struggling to keep up with your typing? Slow page reformatting as
> you scroll?

Both. There was a detectable pause after typing. I could work around
that as I'm no speed demon when it comes to typing. However scrolling
was dog slow. Sometimes 2-3 seconds on a page down. There might have
been more but its been months since I gave it a whirl. If you're
interested I can reinstall and see what behaviors I find.

> PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

You, sir, you rock!

--
Steve Lamb

Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Terence

On 05/02/2008, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> > PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
>
> You, sir, you rock!

Take care what you say, with a name like yours!

Terence

Old 02-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-06-2008, 03:49 AM
"s. keeling"

Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity: why OOo instead of AbiWord?
>
> I knew someone would remember the previous touching on authoring.
>
> After you suggested using AbiWord I gave it a whirl. At first
> glance it seemed to work nicely but after 2-3 times I noticed that
> it was really chugging on dealing with my document which was a mere
> 25 pages of prose so far. Unless I planned on breaking it up by
> chapters and figuring out how to merge it all together later I

Just curious, but what's wrong with breaking it up by chapters and
figuring out how to merge it all together later? "lpr chap*" too much
to remember?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
"Dan H."

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:29:40AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity: why OOo instead of AbiWord?
>
> After you suggested using AbiWord I gave it a whirl. At first glance it
> seemed to work nicely but after 2-3 times I noticed that it was really
> chugging on dealing with my document which was a mere 25 pages of prose
> so far.

Yeah, same here. It's probably been 2 years that I tried AbiWord, but my
main impression was just "sluggish". Very unresponsive. Although, in
principle, nobody can type or read as fast as the most lardy app can swallow
or choke up text, the "feel" just isn't right.

OOo is bog-slow when starting up (and it does nameserver lookups, WTF for? I
noticed recentyl when my NS was down), but after that it gets tolerable.

Still a snail when compared to M$ Office on the same machine.

--D.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 06 Feb 2008, Dan H. wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:29:40AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Just out of curiosity: why OOo instead of AbiWord?
> >
> > After you suggested using AbiWord I gave it a whirl. At first glance it
> > seemed to work nicely but after 2-3 times I noticed that it was really
> > chugging on dealing with my document which was a mere 25 pages of prose
> > so far.
>
> Yeah, same here. It's probably been 2 years that I tried AbiWord, but my
> main impression was just "sluggish". Very unresponsive. Although, in
> principle, nobody can type or read as fast as the most lardy app can swallow
> or choke up text, the "feel" just isn't right.
>
> OOo is bog-slow when starting up (and it does nameserver lookups, WTF for? I
> noticed recentyl when my NS was down), but after that it gets tolerable.
>
> Still a snail when compared to M$ Office on the same machine.
>
> --D.

Why has no one in this thread mentioned Lyx? I've just used it to
produce two books for Lulu and have found it good for that purpose. But
I don't use it to produce the actual text; for that I use (g)vim. Once
the text is more or less as I want it I then import it into Lyx for
working up into the right format.

Incidentally, a tip for anyone who is thinking of using Lulu: you can
upload your file as postscript, which obviates all the messing about
trying to produce an acceptable pdf file. But for some reason Lulu
doesn't advertise this option.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
BartlebyScrivener

On Feb 6, 4:10 am, Anthony Campbell <a...@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> But I don't use it to produce the actual text; for that I use (g)vim.

It's an author's dream for the same reason that it's a programmer's
dream.

> the text is more or less as I want it I then import it into Lyx for
> working up into the right format.

I haven't tried Lyx. I was always afraid of LaTeX, but I did my last
book (nonfiction, with lots of footnotes, cross-references, tables,
etc.) completely in LaTex. It was not so hard to learn, because there
are so many tutorials (same with mutt), and gives beautiful results. I
found Vim-Latex to be too "heavy", instead I just did a couple of key
remaps for section{} etc.

For a novel, LaTeX it would be dead simple. I also ended up buying The
LaTeX Companion once I decided to adopt it permanently.

rd
http://dooling.com

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
"Steve Lamb"

s. keeling wrote:
> Just curious, but what's wrong with breaking it up by chapters and
> figuring out how to merge it all together later? "lpr chap*" too much
> to remember?

Now email that ream of paper.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 PM
marc

Steve Lamb said...
> s. keeling wrote:
> > Just curious, but what's wrong with breaking it up by chapters and
> > figuring out how to merge it all together later? "lpr chap*" too much
> > to remember?
>
> Now email that ream of paper.

Scanner?

--