Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
"Steve Lamb"

Default vim + LaTeX (Was: What am I missing without mutt?)

marc wrote:
> Steve Lamb said...
> Cool, another LaTeX + vim devotee that doesn't use that combination
> simultaneously. As a matter of interest, Steve, which editor do you use
> for writing with LaTex?

I don't. Never said I used LaTeX, only that I was aware of it. I am
visually oriented when it comes to writing. Right now I use OOWriter
when writing creatively. For most other textual tasks and especially
programming I use vim if possible.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:43:44AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> marc wrote:
> > Steve Lamb said...
> > Cool, another LaTeX + vim devotee that doesn't use that combination
> > simultaneously. As a matter of interest, Steve, which editor do you use
> > for writing with LaTex?
>
> I don't. Never said I used LaTeX, only that I was aware of it. I am
> visually oriented when it comes to writing. Right now I use OOWriter
> when writing creatively. For most other textual tasks and especially
> programming I use vim if possible.

There are a number of other text formats for authoring.

Lately I've used asciidoc for a number of documents that were
originally plain text, and are still mostly readable as plain text.

Not as good as LaTeX, but you can write a lengthy document with it.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
"Steve Lamb"

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Just out of curiosity: why OOo instead of AbiWord?

I knew someone would remember the previous touching on authoring.

After you suggested using AbiWord I gave it a whirl. At first glance it
seemed to work nicely but after 2-3 times I noticed that it was really
chugging on dealing with my document which was a mere 25 pages of prose
so far. Unless I planned on breaking it up by chapters and figuring out
how to merge it all together later I didn't see AbiWord being able to
deal with the 300-600 pages I am shooting for.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Ron Johnson