Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Roger Leigh

Default Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 06:43:04PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2011 schrieb Joe Riel:
> > I just upgraded my system and got the warnings
> >
> > Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> > update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
> > W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module
> > r8169 W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for
> > module r8169
> >
> > I then installed firmware-realtek, which provides the missing files.
> > Do I need to reconfigure initramfs-tools for this to take effect?
> No, a far as I know, the required kernel-modules are searching in /lib/firmware
> and load, what they need. However, if you do not trust them, you can do
> "update-initramfs -u", which does not do dangerous things.

The initramfs /might/ need the firmware before / is mounted (example:
netbooting) in which case the firmware will be needed in the initrd.
So running update-initramfs is certainly going to do no harm, and
may be required.

Regards,
Roger

--