Old 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Brian McKee

Default Proper font and colour in telnet session....

Yeah I know - a solution without a problem before. But this was
such a pain I wanted to document it for the poor sap who hits the
same wall.

Problem
A telnet session from an Etch (or Ubuntu Gutsy) box either doesn't
display pop up window frames properly, or it displays the window
frames fine but the colours are wrong (mainly yellow bkg colour
becomes an dull orange).

Works fine from various older Redhat/Mandrake distros.

Solution - install console-setup (possibly not required, but
that's the road I took - and it's default in Gutsy)

console-terminus
mingetty (NOT OPTIONAL)

Edit /etc/inittab on Etch or /etc/event.d/ttyX on Gutsy to use
mingetty not getty

(note mingetty specifies no serial line speed on its config line)
This is required to get the 'frame' to display

Edit /etc/default/console-setup to use
CODESET="Lat15" not one of the ISOs
This is required to get the right colours
VERBOSE_OUTPUT=yes (because otherwise it doesn't complain about
errors!)

FONTFACE="TerminusBoldVGA"
FONTSIZE="16"

use setupcon to bring your font settings live.

I *think* that you have to make sure you alter ALL of the ttys and
not just one, and you may have to change runlevels or do some other
magic incantation to make everything 'take.' I had weird issues going
on when I was testing that were resolved only after a reboot.

I also had to edit /boot/grub/menu.1st to remove quiet and splash
entries from the default, because I need 80x25

Hopefully this helps a future reader and the present ones just pass
on by....

Brian