Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Gerard Robin

Default Printer HP c7280: No Installed HP Devices Found

Hello,
When I configured my printer HP c7280 (Photosmart all-in-one) the
command: sudo hp-toolbox got me:

No Installed HP Devices Found
To install a device, use one of the following methods:
---------------------8<------------------------

ERROR: No device found or unsupported device

However with http://localhost:631/admin/ in my browser I configured my
printer and now I can print with all my programs: lpr, vim, openoffice
For example lpq gives:

Photosmart_C7200 is ready
no entries

Why sudo hp-toolbox failed ?

tia
--
Gérard

Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
"Andrew Malcolmson"

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:13:26 +0100, "Gerard Robin" <g.robin3@free.fr>
said:
> Hello,
> When I configured my printer HP c7280 (Photosmart all-in-one) the
> command: sudo hp-toolbox got me:
>
> No Installed HP Devices Found
> To install a device, use one of the following methods:
> ---------------------8<------------------------
>
> ERROR: No device found or unsupported device

The device is not registered with hplip.

Try deleting the printer in CUPS and re-adding it with 'hp-setup'

Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Gerard Robin

When I configured my printer HP c7280 (Photosmart all-in-one) the
command: sudo hp-toolbox got me:

No Installed HP Devices Found
To install a device, use one of the following methods:
---------------------8<------------------------

ERROR: No device found or unsupported device

The device is not registered with hplip.

Try deleting the printer in CUPS and re-adding it with 'hp-setup'

-1-
as root (with su, not sudo)
hp-setup:
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
error: Unable to find HP fax PPD file. Please check you(r) HPLIP installation and try again.
----------------------------8<------------------------------------------
your printer has been successfully installed on your system

-2-
I discovered that when I do hp-toolbox as root, with su and passwd root,
(not sudo) I get briefly: ERROR: no device found or unsupported device
and after that hp-toolbox works.

-3-
I choose "scan" in the menu:
You try to run Xsane as root, that is very dangerous ...
xsane works fine and gives a file out.pnm or out.txt but the file
out.txt is unreadable. It is "gocr" which doesn't work correctly.

-4-
I choose "print" in the menu: works fine. (doesn't print the letters with accents)

-5- (gnome)
"system -> preference -> HPLIP Toolbox" doesn't work because hp-toolbox is
launched with the command: (as normal user)
sh -c 'STARTED_FROM_MENU=yes /usr/bin/hp-toolbox'
I rewrited it as:
sh -c 'STARTED_FROM_MENU=yes gksu /usr/bin/hp-toolbox'
and now "system -> preference -> HPLIP Toolbox" works.

Why can't I make hp-toolbox work as normal user ?
Why can't I make xsane work as normal user ?

tia
--
Gérard

Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:24:27 +0100
Gerard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote:

Hello Gerard,

> Why can't I make hp-toolbox work as normal user ?
> Why can't I make xsane work as normal user ?

Make sure the normal user is a member of both 'lpadmin' and 'scanner'
groups. They should then be able to run the relevant commands.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Love is a temple, love is a shrine
You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart - Eurythmics

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Gerard Robin

Why can't I make hp-toolbox work as normal user ?
Why can't I make xsane work as normal user ?

Make sure the normal user is a member of both 'lpadmin' and 'scanner'
groups. They should then be able to run the relevant commands.

I added, says "userfoo", in lpadmin and scanner and now xsane starts an
runs fine, but "file -> quit" gives twice: "failed to create file: Permission denied".

in the terminal I get:
(xsane:6479): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
(xsane:6479): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

if I set LANG to C this not arises

"userfoo" can also start "hp-toobox" now

Thanks

--
Gérard

Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:07:37 +0100
Gerard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote:

Hello Gerard,

> in the terminal I get:
> (xsane:6479): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
> pango_layout_set_text() (xsane:6479): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8
> string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

I'm not at all sure what caused that....

> if I set LANG to C this not arises

But as that stops it happening....

> "userfoo" can also start "hp-toobox" now
> Thanks

You're welcome. Glad you've got it all going.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"