Old 02-05-2008, 01:37 PM
"Lesley Binks"

Default How to set up a WLAN?

On 05/02/2008, Daniel Haude <daniel@stoptrick.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this message is all the more strange since I had wireless up and running
> with Debian once. But that system got hosed about a year ago for some reason
> or another, and now I've got it set up again and I'm completely stumped with
> the WLAN thingy.
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1
> [ralink]
>
> OK, this is a Ralink RT2500 chipset. I've built the rt2500usb module and
> loaded it. ifconfig wlan0 up worked.
>
> I'd like to connect to the public network that's set up around the campus.
> What do I have to do to make it happen? Everybody else's Windoze and Mac laptop
> simply connects to whatever network it happens to find.
>
> There is a utility with the promising name "iwspy", but that tells me:
>
> wlan1 Interface doesn't support wireless statistic collection
>
> Don't know what that means except that it doesn't work.
>
> There are two Debian packages for this chipset: rt2500-source and
> rt2x00-source. They provide different modules, but neither really seem to
> work.
>
> I do remember using some tools when I had this set up about a year ago that
> listed all networks in the vicinity, and dumped screen upon screen of
> network traffic. After an afternoon of playing with this stuff, straight
> from Debian stable packages. Now I've been trying this for three days and
> I'm not getting anywhere. Am I getting too old?
>
> Thanks,
> --D.

Hi Daniel
I haven't yet used wireless on Debian but the general idea, I think,
is once you have the wireless thing running then you may be able to
pick up a list of wireless access points out there. I have no idea
what package provides this.

These access points will use DHCP to allocate an IP address to your
wireless interface. Any DNS will be sorted out at this time.

Most will not allow access - they will be protected in some way e.g.
password, MAC address restriction but iyou should be able to connect
to public access points.

I have no idea what iwspy does - the man page is unclear to me but it
looks like it is for access points. iwlist might be more useful to
discover nearby access points.

Regards

Lesley

Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Angus Auld

--- Daniel Haude <daniel@stoptrick.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this message is all the more strange since I had
> wireless up and running
> with Debian once. But that system got hosed about a
> year ago for some reason
> or another, and now I've got it set up again and I'm
> completely stumped with
> the WLAN thingy.
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex]
> DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1
> [ralink]
>
> OK, this is a Ralink RT2500 chipset. I've built the
> rt2500usb module and
> loaded it. ifconfig wlan0 up worked.
>
> I'd like to connect to the public network that's set
> up around the campus.
> What do I have to do to make it happen? Everybody
> else's Windoze and Mac laptop
> simply connects to whatever network it happens to
> find.
>
> There is a utility with the promising name "iwspy",
> but that tells me:
>
> wlan1 Interface doesn't support wireless statistic
> collection
>
> Don't know what that means except that it doesn't
> work.
>
> There are two Debian packages for this chipset:
> rt2500-source and
> rt2x00-source. They provide different modules, but
> neither really seem to
> work.
>
> I do remember using some tools when I had this set
> up about a year ago that
> listed all networks in the vicinity, and dumped
> screen upon screen of
> network traffic. After an afternoon of playing with
> this stuff, straight
> from Debian stable packages. Now I've been trying
> this for three days and
> I'm not getting anywhere. Am I getting too old?
>
> Thanks,
> --D.
Daniel, I have a ralink wireless card (rt-2500
chipset), and it works great for me on Debian Etch.
Try installing "wifi-radar". It is a handy little
prog.
I don't have any rt-2xxx or rt-25xx packages
installed, so support
must be compiled in the kernel(?).

Oh, and I am using 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel, but I'm
not sure if the
kanotix version has any special modules built-in.

HTH's some.

Best regards.

-- Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
-- Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Old 02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Daniel Haude

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:40:30AM -0800, Angus Auld wrote:

> I don't have any rt-2xxx or rt-25xx packages
> installed, so support
> must be compiled in the kernel(?).

Those are just the modules. Can you do a lsmod | grep rt to see which one
you've actually loaded?

wifi-radar doesn't work either. It's always "Interface doesn't allow
scanning".

--D.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Håkon Alstadheim

Daniel Haude wrote:

Hello,

this message is all the more strange since I had wireless up and running
with Debian once. But that system got hosed about a year ago for some reason
or another, and now I've got it set up again and I'm completely stumped with
the WLAN thingy.

$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1
[ralink]

OK, this is a Ralink RT2500 chipset. I've built the rt2500usb module and
loaded it. ifconfig wlan0 up worked.

Check out module-assistant for automatically building extra modules for
your kernel.

I'd like to connect to the public network that's set up around the campus.
What do I have to do to make it happen? Everybody else's Windoze and Mac laptop
simply connects to whatever network it happens to find.

A standard command to check for available networks is "iwlist scan". Run
as root.

There is a utility with the promising name "iwspy", but that tells me:

wlan1 Interface doesn't support wireless statistic collection

Don't know what that means except that it doesn't work.

There are two Debian packages for this chipset: rt2500-source and
rt2x00-source. They provide different modules, but neither really seem to
work.

Try building with module assistant. It will help you prepare your system
for building. run dmesg after loading the module to see any
error-messages and other info. It should report your card detected. Post
here if there are messages you don't understand. Never used the usb
variety, might need something extra loaded for that to work.

Once you have the module loaded and running ok, check out the config
file /etc/network/interfaces (which has a manual page). Together with
the results from iwlist, you will have the info you need to make "ifup
ra0" or "ifup wlan0" work.

For gui use, both kde and gnome have offerings, once you have the needed
modules loaded.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Angus Auld

--- Daniel Haude <daniel@stoptrick.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:40:30AM -0800, Angus Auld
> wrote:
>
> > I don't have any rt-2xxx or rt-25xx packages
> > installed, so support
> > must be compiled in the kernel(?).
>
> Those are just the modules. Can you do a lsmod |
> grep rt to see which one
> you've actually loaded?
>
> wifi-radar doesn't work either. It's always
> "Interface doesn't allow
> scanning".
>
> --D.
Yes, it looks like I have the module loaded.
"lsmod | grep rt" yields:

conky@conky2008:~$ lsmod | grep rt
rt2500 170212 1
agpgart 26572 3 drm,intel_agp
conky@conky2008:~$

Hope this can give you some insight. Let me know if
there is any configs here that may prove useful.
I'm not too Debian literate (or, perhaps in general
either),
but I can stumble around a little.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM
"Dan H."

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:57:45PM +0100, Hakon Alstadheim wrote:

> Check out module-assistant for automatically building extra modules for
> your kernel.

That's what I did. The module loads fine. Dmesg output is:

usbcore: registered new driver rt2500usb

If I do "ifconfig wlan1 up", the "Link" light comes on on the USB stick.

> A standard command to check for available networks is "iwlist scan". Run
> as root.

# iwlist scan

wlan1 No scan results

# iwlist freq

wlan1 0 channels
Current Frequency=3D2.412 GHz

0 channels? I don't get it. Shouldn't I see at least the channels this thing
/could/ do, even if I sat in an EMI-proof building?

> Try building with module assistant. It will help you prepare your system
> for building. run dmesg after loading the module to see any
> error-messages and other info. It should report your card detected. Post
> here if there are messages you don't understand. Never used the usb
> variety, might need something extra loaded for that to work.

The "vanilla" rt2500 driver (available from another package) doesn't do
anything at all.

The rt2570 driver will at lest show up in dmesg, like the rt2500usb, and the
interface shows up as "eth3", not "wlan1", but apart from that it behaves
just like the other one. And not even the "Link" light comes on.

> Once you have the module loaded and running ok, check out the config
> file /etc/network/interfaces (which has a manual page). Together with
> the results from iwlist, you will have the info you need to make "ifup
> ra0" or "ifup wlan0" work.

I guess messing with /etc/interfaces won't help if even the low-level stuff
ain't working.

> For gui use, both kde and gnome have offerings, once you have the needed
> modules loaded.

I'd rather keep this a non-X box.

Thanks,
--D.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Wayne Topa

Dan H.(dunno@stoptrick.com) is reported to have said:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:57:45PM +0100, Hakon Alstadheim wrote:

Never could get my USB stick G122 working.

Seems like others had the same problem. Found this in my collection
of HowTo's for Dlink.

Google for DWL-G122_Ubuntu.html

WT

--
In a five year period we can get one superb programming language. Only
we can't control when the five year period will begin.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Håkon Alstadheim

Dan H. wrote:

# iwlist scan

wlan1 No scan results

# iwlist freq

wlan1 0 channels
Current Frequency=3D2.412 GHz

0 channels? I don't get it. Shouldn't I see at least the channels this thing
/could/ do, even if I sat in an EMI-proof building?

That seems very wrong yes. Seems to be a problem with the usb variety of
the driver. There is (/used to be) some mailing-lists and web-sites
dedicated to the development ov the rt2** drivers. Probably that is
where you need to go to pursue this issue further. Google is your
friend, or you could check for any info in the source files (files named
like README and INSTALL are good places to look).

Good luck, sorry I don't have any more info.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Angus Auld

--- Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:40:30AM -0800, Angus Auld
> wrote:
> >
> > -- Angus
> >
> > "All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or
> Muslim, appear
> > to me no other than human inventions, setup to
> terrify and
> > enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and
> profit."
> > -- Thomas Paine (1737-1809)
> >

> Hi,
>
> I noticed your sig did not render correctly in my
> mailer. The deliniter
> Compare yours with mine
> below.
>
> So replace -- Angus with --<space><return> and stick
> Angus on the next
> line.
>
> --
> Chris.

Thanks for that Chris....noted and corrected.

Best regards.