-   -   Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/476118-keyboard-freezing-repeating-endlessly.html)

Joe Riel 01-13-2011 04:01 PM

Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

First post to Debian-Users; I hope this isn't inappropriate.

In December I upgraded Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04. The keyboard and mouse
would then freeze after about five minutes of use. At that point I
installed Debian 6 (another machine uses Debian, but this computer had
come with Ubuntu 9.04 installed, so I used that for a year with no
problems). Alas, the same thing happened with Debian 6.

I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. I noticed that an added USB mouse
would continue to operate, so replaced the mouse with that. The
keyboard lockup continued, but decreased in frequency to about one a
day. That is still unacceptable, but temporarily manageable.

There are no indications of anything wrong in any of the logs.
The O/S is fully functional; I can log into it from another machine
and restart it that way.

When the lockup occurs, most of the time the keyboard continually
repeats a key, but not always the same key. I've seen the escape key,
the "l", the "k", and others. Pressing the same key (to get the driver
to see the "release" does not stop it). Other times it appears as
though no key is repeating (at least nothing happens when the mouse
is placed in a client).

I've searched google and found quite a few descriptions of what
appears similar behavior, with no solutions.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Replace the PS/2 keyboard with a
USB?

Something I recently noticed is that

$ setxkbmap -print

indicates that X thinks I'm using a pc105 keyboard when in fact I have
a pc104. I changed that, from the command line, with

$ setxkbmap -model pc104

That didn't improve anything (I still get lockups) nor did it change
the keyboard operation, as far as I can tell. However, I'm wondering
why X is using the wrong keyboard model. Maybe I entered the wrong
model during the installation. What sets the default value (there is
no xorg.conf file)?

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Joe Riel

Hugo Vanwoerkom 01-13-2011 04:12 PM

Joe Riel wrote:

[...]

Are you sure the keyboard is good?

Archive: ignbp7$hhv$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ignbp7$hhv$1@dough.gmane.org

Joe Riel 01-13-2011 04:21 PM

Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

A few details I omitted.

Once the freeze occurs, the only way I've found to release it is to
restart the machine. Restarting gdm3 (via a remote computer)
does not help, it brings up the login screen, but the keyboard
is not operational.

The problem also occurs in a virtual terminal (though I've
never been in a virtual terminal when it started).
To get to a virtual terminal with the keyboard dead/repeating,
I added a menu entry, accessible via the mouse,
that calls chvt, and modified the sudoers permission to allow
me to run that. In the virtual terminal I don't see the
key repeating, but the keyboard does nothing.

I normally run fvwm, but the problem also occurs in Gnome.

If there isn't a fix, are there any ideas on how to at least
clear the fault once it occurs (without restarting the machine)?
As mentioned, typing the key that is repeating does not help.

--
Joe Riel

Joe Riel 01-13-2011 04:27 PM

Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

> Are you sure the keyboard is good?

No, but it would be quite the coincidence that the
keyboard works fine for a year and fails within
five minutes of installing a new O/S. However,
to remove that possibility, I just now replaced
it with another PS/2 keyboard. I'll respond
when this locks up (though this old keyboard is
a pain to type on).

A useful suggestion, thanks.

--
Joe Riel

Camaleón 01-13-2011 04:44 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:01:16 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

> First post to Debian-Users; I hope this isn't inappropriate.

We only allow one serious (non-OT) post per user and day.

(just kidding :-) )

(...)

> $ setxkbmap -model pc104
>
> That didn't improve anything (I still get lockups) nor did it change the
> keyboard operation, as far as I can tell. However, I'm wondering why X
> is using the wrong keyboard model. Maybe I entered the wrong model
> during the installation. What sets the default value (there is no
> xorg.conf file)?

Keyboard setup is done in "/etc/default/keyboard" file.

OTOH, are you sure there is no information/warning about the lock in "/
var/log/Xorg.0.log"? Have you tried with another PS/2 keyboard? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Joe Riel 01-13-2011 05:21 PM

Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:44:38 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm wondering why X is using the wrong keyboard model. Maybe I
> > entered the wrong model during the installation. What sets the
> > default value (there is no xorg.conf file)?
>
> Keyboard setup is done in "/etc/default/keyboard" file.

Thanks, fixed that. It was set to pc105, so presumably I screwed up
when installing Debian.

> OTOH, are you sure there is no information/warning about the lock in
> "/ var/log/Xorg.0.log"?

I'm not sure . Nothing jumped out at me, but I'm clueless. There is
this:

(II) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed
(/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory)

Google search indicates that this isn't an issue (as does the II).
Attached is the entire Xorg.0.log.old.

> Have you tried with another PS/2 keyboard? :-?

Am currently using another PS/2 keyboard; it hasn't locked up yet,
but I've only used it for an hour and the frequency is
about once a day (but 3 times yesterday).

Does the fact that, when the PS/2 mouse is installed, it also
locks up when the event occurs, mean anything? A USB mouse
continues to work.

--
Joe Riel

Camaleón 01-13-2011 06:17 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:21:03 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:44:38 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> OTOH, are you sure there is no information/warning about the lock in "/
>> var/log/Xorg.0.log"?
>
> I'm not sure . Nothing jumped out at me, but I'm clueless. There is
> this:
>
> (II) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed
> (/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory)
>
> Google search indicates that this isn't an issue (as does the II).
> Attached is the entire Xorg.0.log.old.

Thanks... yup, I see something suspicious (or maybe not) at the end of the
file:

***
(II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device reopened after 1 attempts.

(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Close

(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
***

"evdev" module is unloaded for no apparent reason but not sure if
this a normal/common log.

>> Have you tried with another PS/2 keyboard? :-?
>
> Am currently using another PS/2 keyboard; it hasn't locked up yet, but
> I've only used it for an hour and the frequency is about once a day (but
> 3 times yesterday).
>
> Does the fact that, when the PS/2 mouse is installed, it also locks up
> when the event occurs, mean anything? A USB mouse continues to work.

Dunno :-? It is also possible that a USB device stops from working and just
by re-reconnecting it starts working again... remember that now Xorg is more
"dynamic" than ever and "reacts" with/to events.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Joe Riel 01-13-2011 06:20 PM

Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:27:40 -0800
Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> > Are you sure the keyboard is good?
>
> No, but it would be quite the coincidence that the
> keyboard works fine for a year and fails within
> five minutes of installing a new O/S. However,
> to remove that possibility, I just now replaced
> it with another PS/2 keyboard. I'll respond
> when this locks up (though this old keyboard is
> a pain to type on).

It just locked up with the old [different] PS/2 keyboard.
I suppose the next thing to do is to try a USB keyboard,
to avoid the PS/2 port/driver. I'll see if I can
borrow one.

--
Joe Riel

Joe Riel 01-13-2011 06:41 PM

Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:17:32 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:21:03 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:44:38 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> OTOH, are you sure there is no information/warning about the lock
> >> in "/ var/log/Xorg.0.log"?
> >
> > I'm not sure . Nothing jumped out at me, but I'm clueless. There is
> > this:
> >
> > (II) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed
> > (/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> > such file or directory)
> >
> > Google search indicates that this isn't an issue (as does the II).
> > Attached is the entire Xorg.0.log.old.
>
> Thanks... yup, I see something suspicious (or maybe not) at the end
> of the file:
>
> ***
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Device
> reopened after 1 attempts. (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device
> reopened after 1 attempts. (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation:
> Device reopened after 1 attempts.
>
> (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Close
>
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Close
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (II) Power Button: Close
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (II) Power Button: Close
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> ***
>
> "evdev" module is unloaded for no apparent reason but not sure if
> this a normal/common log.

To check this, I just restarted the machine and compared the
Xorg.0.log.old file created with the one following a lockup
(and subsequent restart). The unloading of evdev appears normal,
however, what is not in the "normal" restart log are the lines

> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> Device reopened after 1 attempts.

Any idea what that might indicate?

> >> Have you tried with another PS/2 keyboard? :-?
> >
> > Am currently using another PS/2 keyboard; it hasn't locked up yet,
> > but I've only used it for an hour and the frequency is about once a
> > day (but 3 times yesterday).

As reported in a separate response, the replacement keyboard, also PS/2,
locked up.

--
Joe Riel

Hugo Vanwoerkom 01-13-2011 08:00 PM

Joe Riel wrote:

[...]

Got that too:

/var/logThu Jan 13-14:57:09# grep Power Xorg.0.log
(II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
(**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event1)
(**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
[...]
/var/logThu Jan 13-14:57:22#

Power Button configuring as keyboard?

Hugo