Old 01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Joe Riel

Default Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:35:50 -0800
Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> A followup. Yesterday I installed the nvidia driver,
> replacing the (default) nouveau driver. So far the
> keyboard has not locked up, however, given its
> random nature, there hasn't been enough time to
> conclude that the problem is solved. If it runs
> for a few days with no lockups (I've never gone more
> than 2 days without one), I'll submit a bug report
> against the nouveau driver.

So much for that...just had another lockup.
Nothing in Xorg.0.log. The following tidbit is
in syslog:

Jan 17 10:50:42 gauss kernel: [48543.711837] atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x0 on isa0060/serio0).
Jan 17 10:50:42 gauss kernel: [48543.711842] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 00 <keycode>' to make it known.
Jan 17 11:17:01 gauss /USR/SBIN/CRON[6167]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

The atkbd message occured at least 15 minutes before the lockup.
The cron job occurred near the time of the lockout; I'll keep track
of that in the future.

Not sure how to file a useful Debian bug; what package
would this apply? If I knew that ...

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:04:54 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:35:50 -0800 Joe Riel wrote:
>
>> A followup. Yesterday I installed the nvidia driver, replacing the
>> (default) nouveau driver. So far the keyboard has not locked up,
>> however, given its random nature, there hasn't been enough time to
>> conclude that the problem is solved. If it runs for a few days with no
>> lockups (I've never gone more than 2 days without one), I'll submit a
>> bug report against the nouveau driver.
>
> So much for that...just had another lockup. Nothing in Xorg.0.log. The
> following tidbit is in syslog:
>
> Jan 17 10:50:42 gauss kernel: [48543.711837] atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x0 on isa0060/serio0).
> Jan 17 10:50:42 gauss kernel: [48543.711842] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 00 <keycode>' to make it known.
> Jan 17 11:17:01 gauss /USR/SBIN/CRON[6167]: (root) CMD (cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
>
> The atkbd message occured at least 15 minutes before the lockup. The
> cron job occurred near the time of the lockout; I'll keep track of that
> in the future.
>
> Not sure how to file a useful Debian bug; what package would this apply?
> If I knew that ...

As keyboard is the "non-working" element here, I would fill a bug report
against "x11-xkb-utils". Do not worry if this is correct/wrong assignation,
if someone at BTS thinks it should be assigned to another package, he/she
will take the proper steps to jump it in there :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Joe Riel

A followup in case anyone has followed/found this thread with the same
issue. A relevant fact is that I have an ASUS P7P55D Motherboard. An
internet search revealed people with that (or similar numbered MB's)
with the same issue; that is, the PS/2 keyboard would sporadically
lock up, with Linux kernel 2.6.32. I've yet to find a fix. A useful
thread is

see, in particular, the post from Andrew Stevenson.

Andrew suggests that reloading the psmouse kernel module during a
lockup can be used to free it; I haven't confirmed that because I'm
using the workaround (below). To do that, you need to access the
machine remotely (or create a menu entry that does so, and which you
can launch from a mouse).

The work-around I have adopted, which has made the problem disappear,
is to use a PS/2 to USB adapter and plug the keyboard into a USB port.