Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Joe Riel

Default Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:41:30 -0800
Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:17:32 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure . Nothing jumped out at me, but I'm clueless. There
> > > is this:
> > >
> > > (II) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed
> > > (/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> > > such file or directory)
> > >
> > > Google search indicates that this isn't an issue (as does the II).
> > > Attached is the entire Xorg.0.log.old.
> >
> > Thanks... yup, I see something suspicious (or maybe not) at the end
> > of the file:
> >
> > ***
> > (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> > (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> > (II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> > (II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Device
> > reopened after 1 attempts. (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device
> > reopened after 1 attempts. (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation:
> > Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >
> > (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
> > (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> > (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
> > (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> > (II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Close
> >
> > (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> > (II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Close
> > (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> > (II) Power Button: Close
> > (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> > (II) Power Button: Close
> > (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> > ***
> >
> > "evdev" module is unloaded for no apparent reason but not sure if
> > this a normal/common log.
>
> To check this, I just restarted the machine and compared the
> Xorg.0.log.old file created with the one following a lockup
> (and subsequent restart). The unloading of evdev appears normal,
> however, what is not in the "normal" restart log are the lines
>
> > (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> > Device reopened after 1 attempts.
>
> Any idea what that might indicate?

Those messages appear benign. That is the result of switching to a
virtual terminal and then back to X. That action does not trigger
the keyboard lockup.

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Joe Riel

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:00:01 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> [...]
> (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type:
> KEYBOARD) (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.

That does look suspicious. Thanks for pointing it out.
At the very least, if normal, it is extremely cryptic.
That information notice appears in all my Xorg.0.log
files.

Maybe I have to toggle the power button to clear the
repeating key 8-)

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Joe Riel wrote:

[...]

Interesting. How did you figure that out?

Hugo

Archive: ignqft$4fl$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ignqft$4fl$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Joe Riel

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:23:09 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Joe Riel wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:41:30 -0800
> > Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> >> To check this, I just restarted the machine and compared the
> >> Xorg.0.log.old file created with the one following a lockup
> >> (and subsequent restart). The unloading of evdev appears normal,
> >> however, what is not in the "normal" restart log are the lines

> >> Any idea what that might indicate?
> >
> > Those messages appear benign. That is the result of switching to a
> > virtual terminal and then back to X. That action does not trigger
> > the keyboard lockup.
> >

> Interesting. How did you figure that out?

tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log

then switched to VT1, then back to X (VT7).
When I came back to X, I could see the log
file being updated. My tentative conclusion
is that that is normal behavior of X.
Do you see anything similar?

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:56:03 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:23:09 -0600 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

(...)

>> > Those messages appear benign. That is the result of switching to a
>> > virtual terminal and then back to X. That action does not trigger
>> > the keyboard lockup.
>> >

>> Interesting. How did you figure that out?
>
> tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> then switched to VT1, then back to X (VT7). When I came back to X, I
> could see the log file being updated. My tentative conclusion is that
> that is normal behavior of X. Do you see anything similar?

Yes, I also see those "device reopeded" messages.

I dunno what to suggest, if those errors are "fine" and unrelated to the
problem of the ps/2 keyboard freezing I can only think in two possible
suspects: kernel or xorg.

You can:

1/ Start the system with no xorg (console) and leave it so for sometine
to check if the problem is still present (even with no x server).

2/ Review you kernel log, just in case ("cat /var/log/kern.log | grep
input").

If this is something related to X server, as a workaround to avoid
restarting the system when this occurs, you can restart gdm3 service ("/
etc/init.d/gdm3 restart").

I would not discard to open a bug report.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Joe Riel

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:38:43 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can:
>
> 1/ Start the system with no xorg (console) and leave it so for
> sometine to check if the problem is still present (even with no x
> server).

I'll attempt to try this. Might be painful working in a
virtual terminal all the time. Kind of limits what I can
do. This is my work machine...

> 2/ Review you kernel log, just in case ("cat /var/log/kern.log | grep
> input").
>
> If this is something related to X server, as a workaround to avoid
> restarting the system when this occurs, you can restart gdm3 service
> ("/ etc/init.d/gdm3 restart").

A workaround (clear the fault without a reboot) would be quite
helpful. Alas, restarting gdm3 isn't it; I get the login prompt, but
the keyboard is still dead. This seems to indicate it isn't an X
issue, but I don't know enough.

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Joe Riel

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:47:59 -0800
Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:38:43 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You can:
> >
> > 1/ Start the system with no xorg (console) and leave it so for
> > sometine to check if the problem is still present (even with no x
> > server).
>
> I'll attempt to try this. Might be painful working in a
> virtual terminal all the time. Kind of limits what I can
> do. This is my work machine...

Got lucky, sort of. I was just working in a virtual terminal
when the lockup occurred. That doesn't rule out X in that
X was running (I had just opened the terminal and was reading
a man page), however, it suggests the problem might not be
with X. That is consistent with the observation that restarting
gdm3 does not clear the fault.

> > 2/ Review you kernel log, just in case ("cat /var/log/kern.log |
> > grep input").

Found the following lines (more of same) in kern.log at the time
of the lockup. However, I don't see them for other lockups
(a lockup occurred while I was typing this email), so it could
be a red-herring:

Jan 15 09:20:58 gauss kernel: [164858.674186] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 2
Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.749505] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 1
Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750491] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch 1/5 Mthd 0x0000 Data 0x80000013
Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750507] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource: DATA_ERROR, nStatus: BAD_ARGUMENT
Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750511] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - Ch 1/5 Class 0x008a Mthd 0x0300 Data 0x00000000:0x00000000
Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750566] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch 1/4 Mthd 0x0000 Data 0x8000001a
Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750580] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource: ILLEGAL_MTHD, nStatus: BAD_ARGUMENT PROTECTION_FAULT

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:55:54 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:47:59 -0800 Joe Riel wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:38:43 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> > You can:
>> >
>> > 1/ Start the system with no xorg (console) and leave it so for
>> > sometine to check if the problem is still present (even with no x
>> > server).
>>
>> I'll attempt to try this. Might be painful working in a virtual
>> terminal all the time. Kind of limits what I can do. This is my work
>> machine...
>
> Got lucky, sort of. I was just working in a virtual terminal when the
> lockup occurred. That doesn't rule out X in that X was running (I had
> just opened the terminal and was reading a man page), however, it
> suggests the problem might not be with X. That is consistent with the
> observation that restarting gdm3 does not clear the fault.

Hum... yes, then it can be something related to the kernel.

>> > 2/ Review you kernel log, just in case ("cat /var/log/kern.log | grep
>> > input").
>
> Found the following lines (more of same) in kern.log at the time of the
> lockup. However, I don't see them for other lockups (a lockup occurred
> while I was typing this email), so it could be a red-herring:
>
> Jan 15 09:20:58 gauss kernel: [164858.674186] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 2
> Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.749505] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 1
> Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750491] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch 1/5 Mthd 0x0000 Data 0x80000013
> Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750507] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource: DATA_ERROR, nStatus: BAD_ARGUMENT
> Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750511] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - Ch 1/5 Class 0x008a Mthd 0x0300 Data 0x00000000:0x00000000
> Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750566] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch 1/4 Mthd 0x0000 Data 0x8000001a
> Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750580] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource: ILLEGAL_MTHD, nStatus: BAD_ARGUMENT PROTECTION_FAULT

If X server is not running, where are these logs entries coming from?
(nouveau is the X driver for nvidia cards) >;-)

Anyway, the behaviour you are experiencing with the ps/2 keyboard is weird
enough to fill a bug in Debian BTS, I would go for it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Joe Riel

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 20:16:16 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:55:54 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

> >> I'll attempt to try this. Might be painful working in a virtual
> >> terminal all the time. Kind of limits what I can do. This is my
> >> work machine...
> >
> > Got lucky, sort of. I was just working in a virtual terminal when
> > the lockup occurred. That doesn't rule out X in that X was running
> > (I had just opened the terminal and was reading a man page),
> > however, it suggests the problem might not be with X. That is
> > consistent with the observation that restarting gdm3 does not clear
> > the fault.
>
> Hum... yes, then it can be something related to the kernel.

> > Found the following lines (more of same) in kern.log at the time of
> > the lockup. However, I don't see them for other lockups (a lockup
> > occurred while I was typing this email), so it could be a
> > red-herring:
> >
> > Jan 15 09:20:58 gauss kernel: [164858.674186] [drm] nouveau
> > 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 2 Jan 15 09:20:59
> > gauss kernel: [164859.749505] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0:
> > nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 1 Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel:
> > [164859.750491] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch
> > 1/5 Mthd 0x0000 Data 0x80000013 Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel:
> > [164859.750507] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource:
> > DATA_ERROR, nStatus: BAD_ARGUMENT Jan 15 09:20:59 gauss kernel:
> > [164859.750511] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_ERROR - Ch 1/5
> > Class 0x008a Mthd 0x0300 Data 0x00000000:0x00000000 Jan 15 09:20:59
> > gauss kernel: [164859.750566] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0:
> > PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch 1/4 Mthd 0x0000 Data 0x8000001a Jan 15
> > 09:20:59 gauss kernel: [164859.750580] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0:
> > PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource: ILLEGAL_MTHD, nStatus: BAD_ARGUMENT
> > PROTECTION_FAULT
>
> If X server is not running, where are these logs entries coming from?
> (nouveau is the X driver for nvidia cards) >;-)

Well, the X server was running. I was originally in X and switched to
a virtual terminal. The lockup occurred while I was working in the
virtual terminal. I searched google for that error message and found
a few related bug reports in other forums. At least one user was
experiencing very similar behavior (keyboard goes away).

> > Anyway, the behaviour you are experiencing with the ps/2 keyboard
> > is weird enough to fill a bug in Debian BTS, I would go for it.

I'll do so.

--
Joe Riel

Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Joe Riel

A followup. Yesterday I installed the nvidia driver,
replacing the (default) nouveau driver. So far the
keyboard has not locked up, however, given its
random nature, there hasn't been enough time to
conclude that the problem is solved. If it runs
for a few days with no lockups (I've never gone more
than 2 days without one), I'll submit a bug report
against the nouveau driver.

The nvidia driver has at least one annoying quirk;
now my virtual-terminals are at a very coarse resolution.
I've temporarily fixed that, but have related issues
that will be the subject of a new thread.

--
Joe Riel